Numb

"Here's to Harry, for finally winning us a match!" Ginny laughed as she raised her cup of cheap alcohol. The older students of the Gryffindor house cheered and drank to Harry.

Less than an hour ago, they had won their first Quidditch game in three weeks, and to Slytherin, which made the victory oh so sweeter. They decided to go back to the common room to celebrate, and one of the Ravenclaw boys who was dating one of the Chasers brought out his stash of beer and wine coolers to make the party more interesting.

Harry felt his cheeks turn red, but the room was warm from the heat of people pressed so close together so he figured no one would notice. He made eye contact across the room with Hermione, who was sitting in an armchair, grimacing at a Fourth Year boy who fell into the- unlit, thankfully- fireplace with a bang.

Harry felt a tentative tap on his shoulder, and he turned cautiously.

"Hi, Harry," Ginny beamed widely, and Harry suspected it was partially due to mild intoxication.

"Hey, Gin. You did really well today," He smiled back at her.

"Thanks, you too." She touched Harry's shoulder and he smiled, remembering their brief fling last summer, and Harry didnt think he really wanted to pursue it, but they were kissing anyway, and he was sliding his hand up her shirt and then he pulled away, ignoring the disappointment plastered on her face. Harry grabbed himself a drink because he didn't need to think about this right now- did he even want to be with Ginny? Before he figured out the answer he downed another drink.

And soon he couldn't see straight and he was stumbling everywhere.

Not too long after that he was certifiably-

"Mmmm sO- w-wasted right now?" Harry slurred as he collapsed next to Hermione in her very comfortable chair. "I don't th-think I've been this drunk, eeveeer!"

"That's lovely, Harry. Why don't we get you to bed, though?"

"You know? That's... not a bad idea. Thanks Hermione. I'm gonna go.. parrtyy.." Harry grinned to himself, and started to stumble away.

"Harry, I'm not going to leave you here, and I need some sleep.." Hermione smoothed her rough curls nervously, a nervous habit she picked up over the last few years. Although she seemed to hold her composure well, she was a very stressed out person, with the exams and studying, and not to mention the intervening she had to do with the boys and their hopelessness. She scanned the room for a face that could watch out for the drunken Harry, a daunting task to be given to only the most dedicated volunteer.

"Wait here, okay?" She gently pushed Harry back into the chair, and he hummed a tune and drank more of his beer, which was beginning to taste better, because when he was sober, it tasted disgusting.

Hermione returned with Draco, who rolled his eyes when he saw the state the Gryffindor Quidditch captain was in.

Harry, who was incredibly drunk, still knew that it would be awkward, and honestly Malfoy was the last person he needed to see, in this context, at least.