Chapter 15: Trainings

The next couple weeks were busy for the Potters between their regular studies and also researching a solution to the horcrux problem. The only thing unusual was when, a week after the Wizengamot meeting, Harry was summoned to the Ministry to submit his memories for a pensieve review at the DMLE as part of their ongoing investigation into Sirius' alleged crimes. Harry hadn't talked to Sirius directly since the meeting at the Burrow, but his godfather had sent a letter thanking him after the Prophet prominently featured Harry's petition and veritaserum review on the front page the following day. Other than being called back to the DMLE, so far the only result of Harry's testimony had been increased surliness among several of the Slytherins, led by Malfoy. While Draco spouted off small insults, he was actually more reserved than in the past, so it was easy to ignore him. Harry thought that may be an additional benefit to his successful duel and banishment of Umbitch.

A week after his Wizengamot testimony, the three new professors started their positions. Professor Lupin returned to teach DADA, to the delight of most of the students. Meanwhile in the dungeons, Professor Tonks started her position teaching 1st through 5th year Potions and everyone found the subject infinitely easier and less stressful. She was strict and firm, but she actually explained the reasoning behind many of the seemingly obscure rules in potion making and she was not shy to acknowledge good work. Finally, a couple days after the other professors, the new History of Magic teacher began. Professor O'Brien was in her mid-twenties and absolutely gorgeous, with a pale complexion and raven hair. She was also stunningly brilliant and seemed to have a wealth of small bits of trivia that she included in her lessons. For the first time in his over four years at Hogwarts, Harry found himself able to stay awake in class. Looking around, he noticed that all of the class was actually awake. Of course, a couple of his classmates didn't seem to be listening at all as they drooled and watched the new professor. As for Professor Binns, Dumbledore told them that he had talked with the old History professor, but Binns was not yet ready to move on. Until Binns decided to go, the old History classroom was closed off and an unused classroom was remodeled into the History classroom. Binns seemed to not care, still showing up at the same times and lecturing to his now empty room.

Besides classes and research, Harry and Hermione still kept up with their meditation and occlumency exercises. Combined with their bond, it made their other studies quite a bit easier. Harry wished he had learned the advantages of a well-ordered and calmed mind years before. He also decided that the exercises would be good for his allies, who were often found studying in the Potter apartment anyway. Included with the group was Luna, who while not an ally, was a true and loyal friend. She and Ron also happened to be near inseparable and the changes she was slowly making in the youngest of the Weasley boys were most welcome.

Along with mind training, Harry and Hermione wanted to continue the training they had started at Grimmauld over the summer. Again, their allies were eager to join them and the group found an empty classroom a couple nights a week to practice physical training with dodging and maneuvers, as well as a variety of shield and other defensive spells. Training offensively was a bit more difficult, since their only targets were each other, which limited the severity of the spells they could use. Harry wished they had some practice dummies like Grimmauld had, but had yet to see any at the school. He also thought that it would be good to have some gym equipment to continue his strength and endurance training. One morning after several rounds of loving, he had called on Dobby to bring them breakfast in bed and then started to discuss the issue with Hermione.

"Hermione love, I've been thinking about our training with the allies. We keep hitting a bit of a dead end. We really need some of the equipment like Sirius has at Grimmauld. The school has some unused classrooms. Maybe we can convert one to a training room. We'd need to decide exactly how much equipment we need."