trains and tranquil (shirbert)

In which Gilbert Blythe runs back to Avonlea to see his family before leaving for UfT...but he gets more than he bargained for...which may or may not include a furious Diana Barry and her father.

-----

ACT 1 - IN WHICH GILBERT BLYTHE IS STILL VERY MUCH IN LOVE WITH ANNE SHIRLEY-CUTHBERT

-----

Gilbert Blythe climbed onto the train headed for Avonlea. He didn't know what to expect, as he was just heading home after breaking it off with Winifred. Sure, there had been plenty of tears, difficult explanations, assurances, and broken hearts, but he didn't know what would become of him after that train ride. He handed the ticket to the conductor and headed toward one of the seats, unconsciously remembering how he'd sat there with Anne to be her chaperone to Nova Scotia.

Anne.

How would she ever react if he just showed up on her front porch, after everything that had ensued? The engagement, the "rejection," college...

To distract himself from those dreams of her, he took out a book from his suitcase and found the well-worn creases of the page he'd previously read, mentally noting that it was one of Anne's favorite literary works of the Brontes. After reading barely even one sentence, he shook his head. The only images that played in his mind were of that night. Her wild red hair, dancing in front of the bonfire...Gilbert had tried to open his mouth to say something, but he was speechless. Instead, his eyes said everything...they were so full of romance. She had completely bewitched and captivated him.

Suddenly, Gilbert was awakened from his daydream by the foul smell of smoke from the cars. Those imaginings that she'd come back to him were like a smoky haze; there one moment, gone the next.

He snapped out of his reverie and headed toward the back, trying to find another seat. One that perhaps would take his mind off the fact that Anne didn't need him, she didn't want him, and her life would be better without him in it.

The truth was, he didn't want to erase her from his mind. Surely that dance and the conversation on Miss Stacy's porch meant something. He'd seen a future for them once, and he didn't want to give up on that vision. Yet, he loved her, so, so much that it hurt. All he wanted was for her happiness, even if it wasn't with him.

Gil finally saw a familiar face, or rather, two familiar faces that he'd known almost all his life. "Diana, Mr. Barry, I didn't know you were on board!" When the older man looked up questioningly, Gil hastily replied, "I'm moving seats, I was too close to the smoking car." Well, it wasn't entirely a lie.

"Congratulations on your impending nuptials, dear boy!" he answered, standing up to pat Gil's back heartily. "You must be embroiled in a flurry of wedding plans, eh? My advice; just say yes to everything, it's safer."

Oh. Ahem. Apparently, all of Avonlea was still buzzing about that. Gil cleared his throat. "Sir, I apologize, I wasn't permitted to tell you earlier, but I can now say that I'm not engaged, so I won't be moving to Paris."

He didn't notice how Diana's eyes lit up in her seat, a wide smile of realization on her face. "Does this mean you're going to Queens after all?" she asked eagerly.

"Actually, I'll be attending the University of Toronto," he answered matter-of-factly. "It'll serve me better for my career. Well...enjoy your journey."

Mr. Barry opened his mouth to say something, but Gilbert had already left to find a seat.

-----

ACT 2 - IN WHICH DIANA BARRY IS FURIOUS

-----

Diana was fuming in her seat, steam practically coming out of her ears.

Her expression angered, even more, when Gilbert Blythe, the very person she was currently raging with, came to take that seat across from her, giving her a small smile and opening his book. When he looked up again, he could've sworn she'd probably explode right then and there.

"So you simply never bothered to speak to Anne about any of this?" Diana stated.

Immediately, Gilbert knew what he was talking about. "Had I had the opportunity to, I would've. In fact, I went over--"

"You've had EVERY opportunity!" she replied with just as much anger and determination in her voice. "For years! Admit it; you've been smitten with Anne since she first came to Avonlea and smashed her slate over your head! There have been countless clues; you certainly can't deny you were beguiled by her at dance practice, even though it turns out you were secretly courting a mystery debutante, whom you had the temerity to step out with at the county fair with no word of warning. Then you show up to the ruins after exams, demand to know how Anne feels about you, then give her all of THIRTY SECONDS to decide her ENTIRE FUTURE! And worst of all, you callously ignored the letter Anne had written to you, even though she told you that she loved you!"

"What letter?"

Diana was taken aback by the obliviousness and urgency in his voice. "Diana, what letter?"

"Wait...you didn't get it?"

The next thing they both know, Gilbert is opening the train window and jumping out, leaving all of his baggage behind. "GILBERT!" she calls.

"What happened over there?" William Barry asks, confused, finally coming over to his daughter. "What was all the screaming about, and why did Gilbert jump out of a bloody train window?"

"Do you want the long version or the short version?" she snaps.

"Short, please," Mr. Barry answers, slightly shell-shocked by her tone.

"Basically, he couldn't marry Winifred since he's loved Anne forever, and now he's jumping off a train to find her." Diana shakes her head, glancing at his swiftly moving figure through the window. "What can I say, he is whipped."

"Well, that damn well explains why he's not moving to Paris," William shakes his head after taking all of the information in. "Let's help the poor, lovestruck boy, shall we?"

"CONDUCTOR, STOP THIS TRAIN!"

-----

ACT 3 - IN WHICH ANNE AND GILBERT REUNITE ON HER FRONT PORCH

-----

A breathless Gilbert finally arrives at Green Gables, having run out of a train window from Charlottetown to get here. He'd passed many a shopkeeper, accidentally knocking down their goods, bumping into hot dog sellers, and many other accidents, but he could fix those later. Right now, he just needed to see Anne.

She hurried out the door, then upon seeing him, all signs of rush and worry vanished from her face. Anne set down her suitcase and slowly walked over to him as if she couldn't even believe he was there.

Gilbert realized how much he desperately wanted to kiss her right now. How was it that she was even more beautiful now? He could spend all afternoon getting lost in those blue eyes. He reaches out and carefully puts a hand on her cheek, then closes the distance between them.

She still has a ghost of a smile on her face once they pull away, her eyes closed as if she were still in that wonderful fantasy. His jaw is clenched and he looks down, as he realizes what he's just done.

"Ow," she utters, and Gil looks down, where a small red mark is on her arm. "Uh-I just had to check-I have a very good imagination, so I just had to be sure that this...is...real."

"Tell me, Anne," he answers when her gaze is back on him. "I need to know...do you truly have feelings for me?"

He's waiting for a response, his mind reeling. Does she love him? What will she say?

Instead of saying anything, the look in her eyes assures him of all he needs to know as she pulls him in deeper again for another kiss, this one even more passionate than the previous one. His arm pulls her closer, and her hand slides down his jaw as the two lovers kiss, these moments of tranquility all to themselves.

-----

this is the first decent fanfic I've written in a long time. let me know your thoughts!!

keep reading. keep writing. keep dreaming.

-v