1: Back Home

You couldn't even believe you were dumb enough to have answered the facetime when Tayler's face popped up on the screen. You'd done so good at ignoring him since the breakup. One guess would have been enough to figure out who told him you were back in town.

Tayler: "So you're really just gonna be home a whole week and not even come say hi?"

You: "Well, yeah. That's kinda the point of a breakup... that I don't have to see you anymore!"

Tayler: "Oh, c'mon. Don't be like that."

You: "Yeah... I'm not doing this with you. Just leave me alone, Tayler. Besides I don't think Charly... or Azra... or Kelianne... or
whoever you're cheating on someone with this time would want you calling your ex trying to hang out behind their back, my dude."

You'd dated Tayler for 2 years in high school and according to your calculations, he'd spent exactly 5 days of it being faithful. Those 3 names were just the girls you'd caught him with but you were confident there were more. You always got suckered back with guilt trips and promises he never seemed to keep.

Tayler: "Just come hang for like an hour. No one else has to know what I do, bab-"

You hung up the facetime and tossed your phone on the bed before flopping down beside it. Ugh, this stupid room. You couldn't believe you'd gone from living in a dorm with new people to back in your childhood room. There was nothing wrong with it, really. It was actually kinda nice since your mom completely redecorated it as a surprise for your first day of high school. You didn't want to admit that now, though because nice or not it represented your freedom being yanked away from you.

 You didn't want to admit that now, though because nice or not it represented your freedom being yanked away from you

The first semester at college had started off so amazing. Adventuring out on your own and leaving the drama of high school fading in your rearview. It had only taken a few weeks before drama found you, though. It got so bad that your dormmate filed a complaint against you that was completely made up. You tried and tried to make her understand but she was so hurt she couldn't see straight. You couldn't blame her for being hurt but you wished she could see that you hadn't done what she thought you did. Besides, you were hurting too. That started the complete spiral that had landed you back in your hometown just before winter break.

You shook the memory out of your head before it had a chance to pull you under again and grabbed your phone. As you scrolled thru the names, you realized everyone was either someone you'd met at college and now was 4 hours away, or a friend from high school you hadn't reached out to in months. Besides, they were all off at colleges of their own now. *sigh*

You heard your mother's voice call from the stairs as she approached your room:
"Are you still in bed? It's almost noon?"

Author's Note:  These chapters will get longer as the story continues until they are comparable to former stories. At the end of each, I will ask a question that will influence how the next chapter plays out. Sound off in the comments here or over on my tiktok and stay tuned for the next part to see what happens!!!

What would you like to see as far as a relationship with our parents? That they really try? Or that they just simply just don't get us? What would you relate to/enjoy reading most?