19: Teenage Heartbreak

Chase shut his bedroom door behind  both of you so you didn’t wake up his parents with your late night chat.

Chase: “Why do you look so nervous? I know we haven’t known each other long but you can honestly tell me anything.”

You sat down on his bed, wringing your hands together. The longer you stalled, the more Chase’s nerves began to match yours. You finally eked out:
“Did you and Charli break up or…”

Chase seemed thrown off because that wasn’t the subject he thought you were leading towards:
“I don’t even know. She hasn’t answered any of my messages all day. I didn’t think so but it kind of feels like it’s heading there if that’s what you mean.”

He put his hand out to cover yours as you worked up the nerve to continue. His thumb stroked across yours as he scooted closer. You blurted out:
“I saw her at a party tonight…”

 You blurted out:“I saw her at a party tonight…”

Chase sat back in shock. It was suddenly clear he might have thought you were making sure they were done before confessing to developing feelings for him. You were scared to acknowledge that and be wrong. Chase was amazing and honestly you had a decent-sized crush on him since meeting him but the last thing you had room for in your life right now was complications and making a move on your best friend- your only friend would have been a giant complication.

You continued firing shots of word vomit as more details spilled out: “She was on a date with the someone.”

Chase stood up abruptly and began pacing:
“Did she hook up with this guy?”

Suddenly Chase’s phone rang and Charli’s contact popped up on the screen:
“Of course she is calling NOW. She probably assumed you were on your way to tell me!”

You: “No. No. Well not that I know of. It seemed kinda like a first date thing? I actually ended up giving her a ride home but she didn’t seem to recognize me at all from the other night. She probably has no clue that you know now.”

Chase hugged you and thanked you. When you looked up at him, unsure if you’d done the right thing, he kissed the top of your forehead and whispered:
"Thank you for- Well- For being you."

Staring up into his blue eyes eas intoxicating but any hope of there maybe being something there was dashed by all the hurt brewing behind them. The moment was interrupted by your phone ringing and when he saw Josh’s contact, Chase smiled:
"Why dont you go home and talk to him. I should deal with Charli anyway."

You: Are you sure youre okay?"

Chase: "I don't know but I will be. Besides don't you start your new job tomorrow?"

You rolled your eyes and groaned:
"God, don't remind me!"

You left him to work up the nerve to call Charli back and as you crept into your room, you peeked in to make sure your parents were asleep before scrolling down to Josh's missed call.

Do we forgive Josh when he tells us why he ghosted us, or try to friendzone him for a while?