Prologue

To make sure there is no confusion...

"Normal" This is for the past.

"Italics" This is for the future.

"Bold" And this is of course for my ramblings.

Hope you're all clear about it.

I do not own Merlin, or any of the related characters. The Merlin series is created by Julian Jones, Jake Michie, Johnny Capps and Julian Murphy and owned by BBC. This work of fanfiction is for entertainment only. I am not making a profit of any kind from this story. All rights of the original Merlin series belong to BBC.

 All rights of the original Merlin series belong to BBC

Merlin was tired. Arthur had been surprisingly too enthusiastic since he was woken up this morning. The prat had been readied and fed breakfast within an hour of Merlin's fake-cheery version of "Rise and Shine!"

After which King Prat instantly declared that they were going for hunting. At nine in the morning! Merlin was surprised, to say the least. And annoyed beyond belief. He had to hurry all around the castle, gathering supplies, informing Arthur's Five Elite Knights to join them in the hunt-to which Gwaine had replied with a, "Sure, mate. What better way to start a day than killing some innocent animals". Merlin had replied with an exasperated, "Oh, believe me. It was not my idea!"-and getting the horses ready at the stable.

Merlin was positively panting like he had run a marathon by the end of his duties. Only then did he remember that he had to pack his own bag. He had hurried to his room, made sure to pick up everything he needed and was just out the door when Gaius came walking down the corridor to the Physician's chamber.

"Ah, there you are, Merlin! I want you to grab these herbs from the forest."

"Sure, Gaius. Arthur's just leaving for a hunt. I'll get them on the way."

Merlin panted between gasps for air, snatched the list in the old man's hand and stuffed it into his overflowing bag hurriedly.

"See you later, Gaius!"

With that Merlin went running to the palace courtyard where the knights and Arthur were waiting for him.

"There you are, you big idiot! Where have you been?"

"Well, unlike some supercilious clotpoles who order people around, I have been doing actual work."

Merlin muttered quietly, but still loud enough for the dollophead to hear and give him a friendly thwack, while strapping his bag to the saddle and mounted his horse, Llaria. Then they had all taken off at a gallop to the forest.

But now Merlin wished if only they hadn't.