Chapter Thirty

For the next few days, Steve focused on making up for his mistake. He did everything he could to make Bucky happy. Bucky loved to be held and touched and kissed and so Steve made sure to do it often, greeting him with kisses down his neck and interlocking fingers, meeting the webs he found there gently. He put his arms around his shoulders and ran his fingertips across his scales carefully. He brushed his hair back and smiled at him and loved him. He was rewarded with the way Bucky glowed, the way he blossomed when he was so loved. Bucky smiled so much more often and Steve was happy to see the way he presented himself to Steve excitedly, pulling himself up next to him and snuggling up near him, eager to be spoken to. Steve thought sometimes that Bucky’s favorite part was the very nature of being told that he deserved love. Steve didn’t know if he could bare to leave him, especially as his day of leaving drew nearer.

He was getting better, Bucky had said. He was healing quickly and soon, he’d be ready to return to land. Steve found himself dreading the day.

However, as it turned out, he didn’t need to worry because the next day, when Bucky went out to find Steve something to eat and possibly another oxygen tank to get him back to the beach, the cave ceiling gave out.

He hardly had time to try and get away as chunks of rock fell and pinned him down.

His last thoughts were of Bucky.

They never had a chance anyway.

END OF BOOK TWO