THE ANSWER

"Oh my God, it's really George. I'm so sorry Professor I'll call you"
Joan said hurriedly as she ran towards George who was standing some feet away

"Who was that? I saw you kissing a man" George queried. Joan reached for his arm as she dragged him to the entrance of the department. George snatched his arm from her in annoyance.

"What is wrong with you?" Joan responded

"Who were you kissing by the fountain. I saw you kissing a man even though I didn't get to see his face"

"And why do I have to explain that to you? Are you my mom? Why are you making a fuss about it?"

"Really Joan? Does our years of friendship really mean nothing to you?"

"You know what George? Let's just face it, I'm done ignoring all this. Is it really the friendship now or your feelings for me huh?"

"Oh, so you know I do have feelings for you yet you kissed another man?"

"You have feelings for me doesn't mean I feel the same way about you. All these while I have never talked about it because I thought it would naturally die down if I just ignored it. But you are making the whole situation worse right now"

"Ignore it? Is that what you have been doing? Is that really..."

"What do you think? That I was still thinking about it? For how many years? I thought with time you would see it for yourself. I only see you as a friend George, I'm sorry but I can't reciprocate your feelings, I like someone else and that's the man you saw me kissing by the fountain. That should give you your answer" Joan said as she tries to walk away, George grabs her hand

"Are you really sure about this Joan? We have known each other for years, I've waited all this while I can wait longer. No matter how long it takes for you to acknowledge your feelings for me. I know you feel something for me, you just need to see it"

"Why would you want to wait for me when you can have something with someone who feels the same way about you. That's pathetic". Joan takes her hand away from George's as she walks towards the hostel.

"And here comes the lover girl!" Rose teased as Joan enters the room.

"Lover girl indeed" Joan gave a cold reply

"Hey, what's wrong? Didn't go as planned?"

"I saw George"

"Okay?"

"He saw me and the Professor kissing by the fountain"

"Oh my..." Rose gasped in surprise

"Luckily for me, he didn't see his face so he doesn't know who I was with"

"Thank goodness. It would have been a really bloody mess out there. Wait you and the Professor kissed?"

"I finally gave him an answer Rose"

"That's good. You can finally move on so why are you sad?"

"I don't know. I just feel like shit cause of the things I said to him. I feel like I really said hurtful things to him. I called him pathetic"

"Oh boy,so what are you going to do now?"

"Apologize I guess?"

"Wait, what about Professor Jones? how did he react to this?"

"Holy mother! I said I was going to call him" Joan grabs her phone from her purse

"What's up?" Rose asked after a few minutes

"He isn't picking. Do you think he was offended I left him there to run after another guy?"

"I don't think he's that insensitive, he's probably busy or something. He will call back"

"I swear to God Rose, if George ruins this for me he can kiss our friendship goodbye. I'm never talking to him again"

"Nobody is ruining anything drama queen, it's just a few missed calls. Relax"

"How did you find out about this?"

"I think Marvin gave a tip off about your identity to the Arturo family boss. But I don't think he gave them all. He was going to do that when they met their side of the bargain. Turns out he wasn't working alone"

"I knew there was someone behind him. Marvin doesn't have the balls to run that kind of operation alone. So Arturo used him to steal my products"

"I think they are trying to get back for the shipping company we took from them"

"Oh I see, Arturo wants to play games? Games he will get. Where are the rest of the underbosses?"

"In the club sir"

"Let's go"

I was heading home myself after Joan left when Greg pulled up in front of me. There was problem in the cartel again. This time, it was my identity. I had kept it hidden for years cause I wanted to enjoy the little freedom I could but that wish was crumbling down already.

"I think you should really keep a low profile for now boss. Even if they can't get the rest of your information from Marvin again, they have something to work on already. Sooner or later they will find out who you are"

"Laying low now will only make me more suspicious. We just gonna act like it's nothing. They are probably waiting for us to make a move now. Let's tackle this discreetly. Find out how much they know about me for now.

"Yes boss"

I suddenly remembered my phone had been vibrating earlier. I checked to see who it was. It was Joan, she had called five times. That was it, the trouble I mentioned earlier. My identity was about to be exposed and I had a woman beside me, a woman that might be in danger because of me. I had to take care of the issue before they got to me. But little did I know that Joan was beginning to become my weakness. Even at a crucial time like that, I could only think of her.