APPLE PROPOSAL

"I can't believe this, I can't believe this is really happening"
Joan wept profusely as tears rolled down her eyes uncontrollably. She was seated beside Kelvin's bed as she held his head tight, Micheal stood at the other side of the bed with the doctor.

"Jo..an?" I tried to call out as loud as I could but my voice was barely audible. My throat felt so dry it hurt as I tried to speak, my sight blurry, my whole body felt numb like they weren't there anymore. I tired to reach out to wipe her tears but I couldn't move my hands. How long had I been this way? Where was I?"

"Kelvin? Can you see me? Can you hear me?" Joan called out. I could only nod slightly in response.

"Thankfully there aren't any serious complications like post traumatic amnesia. We still have to monitor him and see how he recovers but there is hope. I was worried he might never wake up but he really is a fighter" the doctor explained

"Will he still be able to get into daily life activities? Joan asked the doctor

"Definitely, with physiotherapy and rehabilitation he will be able to go back to his daily activities. We just need to give him time"

"Thank you so much doctor"

"We are all glad he's back. If you'd excuse me"

"Sure, thank you" Joan said sniffing as she smiled at Kelvin

"I knew he was going to make it. Is good to have you back boss" Micheal said with a bow

"Isn't it too early for that? You don't even know if he remembers you" Joan teased

"You don't remember me boss?" Micheal looked concerned as he moved closer to my bed trying to show me his face

"I wonder sometimes if you are really cut out for this kind of job. You really can be too naive for your own good sometimes"
Joan giggled, Micheal also joined as he realized she had teased him. I could only respond with my eyes as I blinked and tried to smile

"I'll go get Willow boss. She really will be excited"
Joan nodded back in approval. She held my hands and squeezed them lightly. It was just us in the room now.

"You don't know how long I've waited for this day. I thought I'd never get to see you alive again. I prayed and wished every single day that the universe would give us a second chance at life. I guess the universe did listen to my prayers, I missed you my love"
Joan said as she rested her head on my chest. Tears rolled down my eyes as I listened to those words, hearing them as soon as I woke up really made life worth living again.
Joan spent the rest of the week with me, she explained everything that had happen and how business was going. I was more than surprised to find out she had ran the business well for that long. Never in a million years would I have imagined, guess I underestimated my woman after all.
By the end of the week, I was finally able to sit up on my bed and talk, moving around was still a hassle for me so I just was advised to take things slow. Regardless, I was really happy to be alive, happy to see my family again. So many thoughts had gone through my mind the past week and I could only come to one conclusion.

"Marry me"

Joan froze for a minute as she wondered if she misheard me or was just imagining things.

"What?" She said as she dropped the knife she was cutting apple with.

"Let's get married baby. I don't want to spend another minute apart from you, marry me. I'll make you happy, I promise" I said again

"What kind of proposal is this? Without a ring? Don't you think that's too belittling for a mafia boss? One would expect something extravagant and dramatic. Proposal on a sick bed while I'm cutting apples, wow I must really say I'm impressed" Joan said with a sarcastic tone

"I know it's not the best proposal but..."

"We can have this discussion when you do the right thing. Until then enjoy your apple Mr Kelvin Jones"
Joan said as she stuffed my mouth with the slices she had cut. She stood up from the chair to go dispose the peel, Joan smiled to herself as she got to the door. Even though Kelvin proposed in the weirdest way she could have imagined, her heart did skip that moment.

"Such a weirdo" she mumbled