☞ 𝙵𝚒𝚟𝚎

༻༻༻⋇⋆✦⋆⋇༺༺༺

𝐯. 𝐃𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐡 𝐈𝐧 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐒𝐚𝐝𝐝𝐥𝐞:

𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐎𝐧𝐞

⋐⋑⋐⋑⋐⋑❉⋐⋑⋐⋑⋐⋑

It was later than Jordan liked to admit as she made her way through the woods, closer to the Forensics camp. The leaf-covered floor made it difficult to keep her footing but she managed. Flashlights swept back and forth over the remains, which were full of insects, all eating various bits of flesh.

"Trauma to the forehead -"

"Eyes full of maggots and all you see is the boo-boo on the forehead?" Seeley interrupted Cam and Jordan looked away from the body to her older brother and shone the light on his face.

"Can you behave?" He grimaced and waved a hand in her direction, a plea to lower the light.

"Hands bound at the front, not execution-style," Cam continued as crime scene technicians photographed the remains where they lay.

"What's the shiny stuff on the nose?"

"Some kind of emollient. It's around his lips too."

"Anything out of the boy who found him?" Jordan asked and looked between Cam and Seeley for an answer.

"Oh, the only thing that came out of that kid was vomit," Seeley remarked and it was Jordan's turn to pull a face.

"That would explain the pervasive smell. What are Jordan and I doing here?" Brennan queried as she approached them, analysing the remains from where she stood on Seeley's left.

"Dead guy, foul play - it's your main function," Camille replied sarcastically with a shrug and both Jordan and Temperance made noises of protest.

"Yeah, with bones -"

"I agree with Doctor Brennan, this is way too meaty for either of us," Jordan stated and gestured to the remains.

"No, there's a bit of bone here and... there."

"And - and look at all the maggots," Seeley chimed in, clearly trying to be helpful and somewhat failing.

"Bones, Seeley. Bugs are for Hodgins." They both shared a semi-resigned look before kneeling down to get a better look at the body.

"Lividity looks fixed." Jordan agreed with Doctor Brennan's initial diagnosis.

"So it's not a dump, he was killed here." A sombre mood settled between the four of them, but Jordan still wasn't convinced that she and Brennan were needed.