Part 3: Whoosh

Part 3: Whoosh 

Whoosh, a dart is sent flying through the air, with the mere flick of the wrist. 

Thud.The dart embeds itself into the dartboard, the dartboard with various body parts inscribed onto its smooth surface. With my vision refusing to steady itself, I am unable to see what body part it lands on. It doesn’t matter because I soon feel where it landed. My shoulder soon aches and burns, as if a hot coal was implanted into it. With a short scream, I clutch my shoulder. 

THEY ARE TELLING THE  TRUTH. 

If they can cause us to feel such sharp, intense pain, they can easily kill us. We are truly fighting or rather playing for our lives.  

Whoosh. 

My dart sails through the air, its path that once seemed straight and flawless is now crooked. My aim was off... My dart, determined, manages to make it to the dartboard, but instead of embedding itself into it, bounces off and falls to the floor. The sound of the dart connecting with the floor echoes loudly within my ears. At this rate, I’ll lose. At this rate, I’ll die.

Whoosh. 

No one speaks, not even the loud mouth Ginti. The mood amongst all in the room is a somber and serious one. Not even my companion, who brandishes her words like knives remains silent. 

Whoosh. 

The game seems to drag on, with no end in sight, although it is clear who is going to win. Am I okay with losing? I suppose there isn’t much I can do if I’m not... After all, I am not good at playing this game, at playing darts. 

Suddenly Ginti walks over to me, and places one of his large hands upon my left shoulder. Leaning down to whisper in my ear, he says,”There is a way you could win...” 

//”There is a way you could win,” a soft and soothing voice whispers, “You would never admit it to anyone, but you want be Prom Queen, don’t you? You want your peers to love and adore you... You want them to notice you for more than your intelligence. You want boys to ask you for your phone number, not the answers to the science homework. There is a way you could win...”// 

“You could steal some of her darts. The more darts you have, the more chances you give yourself to hit the board. Go for it... You know you want to.” Ginti adds, finishing his sentence. Cheating? His answer to my predicament is cheating? That wouldn’t be fair!  

NONE

OF

THIS

IS

FAIR. 

Why do I have to compete against HER anyway? Why must I battle the high-heeled, dart enthusiast who is winning without even having to try? Why is this so easy for her? Why isn’t she struggling like me?  

//”YOU JUST NEED TO ELIMINATE THE COMPETITION.”// 

I run my fingers along the smooth surfaces of the darts and pick up two. Ginti, clearly curious to see what I have in mind raises a questioning eyebrow. Decim remains emotionless as usual. That is, until he sees me move. His sky blue eyes widen in surprise, and Ginti’s lips curl up into an amused smirk as they watch the darts fly. 

Whoosh.  

The darts embed themselves deep within my target, causing my companion to let out a blood curdling scream. I finally hit my target! My companion soon falls to the ground, landing hard butt first, causing the darts within her eyes to shake.  

Whoosh. 

She throws her last dart blindly at the board. To my horror, it hits the dartboard with a certifying thud. Her dart laughs at me, taking enjoyment in my pain as my legs buckle beneath me. I let out in involuntary scream as my heart lights itself on fire. 

Her dart hit the part of the board where a heart is drawn. The pain is soon intensified by a dart that implants itself into my actual heart. She used one of my own darts against me.  

SHE
GOT
HER
REVENGE
WITH

SNEAK
ATTACK.