Part 5: Mistake of a Mistake (Third Person P.O.V)

The brunette sighs, annoyed with herself for accepting Nona’s request. She really shouldn’t have accepted it... She is overworked and tired as it is. Gazing down at the memory fragments scattered across her workspace, she throws random shards together. “This is what you want, isn’t it Nona?” she whispers, the words leaving her lips at such a low volume one would think that she was merely breathing. As she continues to splice the pieces together, her stomach begins to do flips. Is it REALLY okay for her to be doing this... Having the right memories IS an EXTREMELY important part of the judgment process... 

A series of shouts brings the brunette by the name of Quin back to reality. Her coworkers dash and hurry about,  carrying large boxes of memory fragments. “People are dying at an intense rate!” one of her coworkers exclaim, “so fast that it almost if they don’t even get a chance to live!” Rolling her eyes at her frazzled coworkers, Quin drowns her nerves and worries in alcohol that is stealthily concealed within a soda can. 

Quin soon loses track of everything. She loses track of time, which fragments go where, and how many pictures she has completed. Time seems to drag on, as if she is stuck in The Void itself. Will her shift ever be done? Will she ever get to have a break? 

Ding. 

The elevator doors slide open revealing Nona, who overall appears calm and collected, but has an eyebrow twitching in annoyance. Striding over to Quin, who has just about fallen asleep, she pulls the woman back into an upright position by yanking on her dark hoodie.

“Quin...” Nona snarls in the brunette’s ears, “you made a mistake with the mistake...” Quin merely mumbles sleepily in response. Grasping the woman by her shoulders, Nona shakes her with surprising strength. “You used the memories of someone who is isn’t dead! You used the memories of someone who hasn’t even had the chance to live... Who hasn’t even had the chance to die yet..” 

“Huh? What? You’re making no sense,” Quin whispers, blinking in a desperate attempt to ward away her sleepiness. 

“You...” Nona growls, annoyed with Quin, suppressing the urge to punch her, “YOU gave one of OUR arbiters the memory of a human! One of our arbiters thinks that they’re human! You dunce!”

Quin chuckles, earning a frown from Nona. “You said to make a mistake, so I made one!” Sticking out her tongue, she leaps out of her seat with a surprising amount of energy. Energy that she seems to gain from Nona’s anger. “If anything, this is all your fault!”  

The sound of jingling earrings can be heard, along with the sound of a sickening crunch. Nona moving like lightening, lands a punch on Quin’s nose, causing it to crack, and smush into her face. Quin’s once jolly expression is soon replaced with one of annoyance and surprise.

“A mistake of a mistake... Only you could manage that,” Nona mutters in annoyance. Spinning on her heels, she drags Quin along as she enters the elevator. “Come, Quin, its about time we see what kind of mess your mistake of a mistake has made".