19. Evolving

The wolfsbane potion was a miraculous invention, capable of keeping a werewolf tame. Unfortunately, it left Remus with groggy side effects, which turned simple clean-up into a major chore. It took several cleaning spells to erase the smell left behind by his wolf, who decided to mark his territory in the tight cupboard. After that task, Remus barely managed to remove the enchanted chains that secured his office when someone knocked on his door.

"Coming!" he yelled, carrying the heavy chains into the cupboard. He was a little out of breath when he opened the door.

"Good Morning, Remus. I've got a boggart for you," Fillius Flitwick said, offering him a gray urn. "It scared my student dearly when it turned into a swarm of bees and chased her through the castle. I would've gotten rid of it already, but I've heard that you've requested to save castle boggarts?"

"Ah, yes, I did." Remus bent down to take the urn from him. The creature inside throbbed, but it was sealed well.

"If you want more, I've heard that there's another one on the second floor. Flitwick's smile vanished. "It frightened Mr. Filch with a vision of Mrs. Norris dead. He must be reliving last year. Poor chap."

"Indeed. I'll take care of it."

"I'll show you where."

Filius waved to invite him to follow and started waddling ahead, one hand splayed on his round belly while the other swung to the rhythm of his totter

Remus flashed a glance back inside his office. He'd have to finish cleaning up later.

He caught up with Fillius, shaking himself awake and wondering how many werewolves the potion was tested on. No. He shouldn't complain like an ungrateful mutt. He was lucky to have access to it, even if it robbed him of his strength.

"Is it normal to have this many boggarts in the castle?" Remus asked.

"No, but we've never had an army of dementors circling the grounds before. The dread could be encouraging boggarts in."

"That's true. Perhaps, I should get a move on teaching Riddikulus to all years."

"That's why you collect them?"

"I want to give my students practical lessons."

"I imagine it's a challenge to control fear in a group, but I couldn't agree more. There is just so much you can learn from theory alone."

"Precisely," Remus said, "and I love seeing the surprised look on their faces when the spell works and they vanquish their fear. I'd like to think that they take that confidence with them in life."

Filius looked up at him and smiled. "You're a good teacher, Remus." He stopped at the beginning of the second-floor hallway and pointed out a door to a supply cupboard. "It's all yours."

"Thank you."

As Fillius tottered down the stairs, whistling to himself, Remus approached the brown door. Sensing him, the boggart rattled inside, making tin cans clang around. Remus waved his wand and the door swung open, releasing a dark shapeless spirit. The Boggart started to take the shape of a full moon, and even though Remus was prepared, the back of his neck prickled as his beast stirred inside, but this full moon he could handle.

"Riddikulus."

The glowing orb turned into a dizzy firefly, allowing Remus to capture it into an empty tin can.

He carried the restless spirit out, glad that Fillius wasn't there to see the shape the boggart had started to take. Who else would be scared of the full moon but one inflicted with the wolf's curse?