2. The rumors

Steam hissed from between the wheels of the train, blowing right into Jack's face. He spat out the warm air and tried to force his way through the thick crowd but instead of getting on the train, people lingered around and talked.

"Why am I even here?" he mused.

He didn't have to take the train. McGonagall's house was close enough for them to apparate to Hogsmeade, the little village right next to the Hogwarts castle. He would've made it in already instead of dealing with this crowd and the long train ride.

"Riding the Hogwarts Express is an important experience," she had insisted when he'd made that argument. "Besides, I think you'll like the reunion."

It sounded as if she meant something more by it but refused to answer any questions. Sure, he was looking forward to seeing his friends, it was a boring summer, but he would catch up with them at the dorm anyway. There was no need to put up with this.

"Look what we got here," a familiar voice said.

Jack didn't even turn around, deciding to ignore it.

"Is it true that you're a homeless runaway?"

Jack wished people would get a move on so he could get inside.

"Nah, I believe the other theory. That you were kicked out."

"He's such a freak, his parents didn't want him," a deeper voice said and cackled.

Jack was stuck as a group of older students blocked his escape route so he turned around to face Malfoy's gang. Draco Malfoy stood there in his preppy clothes and shined shoes. He was framed by Crabbe and Goyle as usual, boys so large, they looked much older than thirteen.

"Malfoy, Grab, and Coil," Jack said with a smirk. "Fancy seeing you here."

"It's Crabbe!" the goonie barked back, his flat face developing red blotches.

"I thought you would've learned your lesson by now," Jack continued, addressing the sneering pale-head in the middle. "Unless you can't wait to get suspended even before school starts."

Malfoy's lips pulled up in an angry grimace. "You think I'm afraid of a worthless street rat?"

Jack sighed excessively. "I really don't care what you think, Malfoy."

Malfoy made a step forward, his goonies followed. Out of the corner of his eye, Jack noticed a space small enough for him to squeeze through, so he covered his mouth and pretended to cough.

"Feall," he cast the spell and the fully-stacked luggage cart behind Malfoy spilled on top of his annoying blond head.

Using the distraction, Jack snuck onto the train while Malfoy yelled at his goonies, "Where did he go? Did you see?"

The whole summer, Jack had been practicing the few Old Religion spells Merlin had taught him last school year. Since they didn't require a wand, he could cast them unsuspected. He already had a long list of prank ideas he wanted to try out at school, but the joy of getting a head start on this year's pranking was short-lived. The narrow corridor did not provide enough space to avoid uncomfortable stares.

He hoped that what happened last year would be old news by now, but they all remembered the rumors. He tried to ignore their whispers and find a quiet place to sit out this long ride. One compartment held an adult he didn't know who was getting settled for a nap. Jack slid the door open.

"May I join you?"

The wizard smiled warmly and gestured at the seat across from him. He stared like everyone did when they first met Jack. Oh, if only they knew that his white hair was the least of his otherness, would they chase him with pitchforks or lock him up in a lab?