4. Peeves' limerick

"Welcome back, Remus," Minerva McGonagall said while giving him a firm handshake.

While he was now her coworker, not her student, and was even taller than her, Remus felt small under her calculating gaze. Would she ever stop intimidating him?

"Thank you, Minerva."

Her given name sounded awkward on his tongue and he cringed internally, unable to stop himself from worrying that he was about to be scolded for being rude.

'You're a grown man, Remus,' he reminded himself. 'They're your peers. Act like it.'

She gave him a tight-lipped smile and moved aside to allow the rest of the school staff to properly greet him. They welcomed him warmly, but he wondered if their attitudes would be as friendly if they all knew his secret. Dumbledore told only a few key members of the staff, and so only Minerva McGonagall, Poppy Pomfrey, and Severus Snape were privy to knowing about his condition.

The Potions Master took his time walking over, and Remus tried the pleasantries, hoping he could start their relationship anew despite their complex history. "Severus. It's been years."

Severus ignored the hand Remus stretched out and kept both of his clasped at his back.

"Lupin. How lucky for us to host someone with your," he smacked his lips while judging Remus' attire, "expertise."

Remus smiled at the hostility. He did not expect miracles. "I'm looking forward to the coming year. Thank you for agreeing to brew the Potion."

"I'm not doing it for you," Severus hissed and walked away, his expensive black robes flying behind him.

Maybe he was fighting a lost cause, but Remus had to make this work. He was going to share this castle with Severus and did not want to have an enemy—especially, an enemy that knew his secret.

After a very filling supper—oh, how he missed Hogwarts feasts—Minerva led the way out of the Great Hall to show him to his quarters. The dimly lit Hogwarts hallways carried memories of endless fun and joint mischief. He knew this castle in and out, all of its secret exits and forgotten chambers. As they passed by a statue of a one-eyed witch, he had a flashback of sneaking out with his three friends through the hidden passage concealed behind it, which led to Honeydukes shop in Hogsmeade. Hogwarts had made him into the man he was today, but coming back seemed to have turned him back into a boy.

Minerva showed him his new office and lingered in the doorway, standing very stiff and dignified.

"The Headmaster assured me that the Wolfsbane Potion will be a sufficient measure to contain your," she cleared her throat, "condition, but I trust you will take extra precautions?"

She swallowed, and he realized that being alone with him was making her uncomfortable. This saddened him. He was a beast only on the full moon. There was no need to fear him while he was human.

He smiled as genuinely as he could. "Yes. I can contain myself safely with enchanted chains. There will be no risk to the students or anyone else."

She nodded and took a long breath. "Very well, then. Welcome to Hogwarts, Professor."

"Goodnight, Minerva."

As much as he was disappointed by her reaction to learning his secret, he was used to it. Acceptance had to be earned. He hoped that by the end of the term he'd have a chance to prove to her that Dumbledore's trust in him was not misplaced.

He ran up the stairs to check where he was going to live for the next ten months. His quarters smelled of polished wood and freshly-turned linen. It was a spacious room with a large comfy bed and an armchair by a small window where he could picture himself sitting down with a good book. His beat-up suitcase was placed near a cozy fireplace at the center of the room.