Chores and Training (Ch. 2)

???: "It's strange... isn't it?"

With a sigh, I opened my eyes and turned to where the voice had emanated from. But still, nothing was there... Just like before. With a groan, I clutched the back of my neck. Even while sleeping, I could feel the slave collar on my neck.

???: "What's wrong? Don't like it?"

I didn't answer, the voice. It was the same one that made a deal with me. The same voice said those cards would decide my fate. Then it happened, a flash of my memory before waking up in that cell. A time before, the shock collar was placed around my neck.

An outline amongst the darkness stood before me.

The outline had no human qualities; it moved amongst the darkness and specks of light that darted this place. How vast and insignificant I must seem as it passed me without even a thought.

I could only imagine a thin shadow connected to a more prominent being. One that I could never see. There were no teeth in the figure, no visible mouth.

But, it could speak.

A snap of a finger

Then a deck of cards appeared in front of me. Swirling a torrent of wind, as it told me. In a tone of voice that sounded inhuman. It was not soft, it was not hard, it almost echoed with multiple voices catching up in different and never a delay was met.

Turning back to the outline, I found the shadow looking at me. It was the same way the predators looked at me. Except it was out of amusement than anything else.

???: "How... Delightful. You've made it for longer than a week?"

Y/N: "It's not that hard when you listen and don't screw up."

???: "Yes, I imagine so... But you know that stop them from beating you."

I looked away, this... Being a slave, I could be beaten just because I looked funny or answered too late. I'd learned that all too quickly when the slave master dealt with me. He had gotten more violent, using a light whip to leave a mark across my back.

Y/N: "I'm aware."

???: "Hmm. Well, I must say. I'm amused, but time is short, and this will be our final meeting."

Without even missing a beat, I turned to 'it' and crossed my arms.

Y/N: "Good! Get out of my sight."

???: "Look how they changed you; you were so terrified the first time you saw me. If you weren't a soul. You would've pissed yourself."

Finally, I saw a glint and metallic teeth like literal pieces of bent metal brought together in a zigzag pattern. Making it almost appear like a child's poorly drawn version of teeth. Then closed my eyes and opened them again. Staring at 'it' once more... Not afraid of seeing death.

The figure didn't respond, simply chuckled and turned away. About to dart into the realm he called home. But I needed answers.

Y/N: "Why!?"

It didn't turn. Instead, it grabbed a ball of light that hung in space. Then moved it between its fingers, like string.

???: "You need to form your question... Better, to receive, answers."

Y/N: "Why... Did you bring me here? Why as a slave, why on this planet!"

The being turned and brought the light down to my level. It blinded me as I stepped back, bringing my arms up, doing my best to block it out of my sight.

???: "Is it not... Fascinating to watch one grow in a place of death. A place where souls are destroyed, one can bloom while others die. Does that not offer a sign of hope?"