𝐟𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐲 𝐭𝐰𝐨

𝐫𝐨𝐨𝐟𝐭𝐨𝐩 𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐟𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬

𝐫𝐨𝐨𝐟𝐭𝐨𝐩 𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐟𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬

༻ ❁ ༺ 

        CHARLOTTE WAS RUNNING as fast as she could, passing by many tall standing windows; New York's skyline trailed beside her as she ran from the flurry of voices calling from behind her. She could mainly pick out her dad's concerned shouts as well as Thor's booming voice trailing down the hallways.

She came to a halt when she recognised the corridor, opting to take the way that led to the nearest fire escape.

Pushing through the door, she ascended the metal staircase, her small feet thundering loudly against the iron frame. Once she reached the rooftop she slowed down, and tried to calm her breathing.

She decided to sit down, feet dangling over the ledge of the building - not so far over that she could fall, but just enough so she could blankly stare at the bustling nightlife below her. She remained there, silent for a few moments with her eyes closed; she could not say for definite how much time had passed. Her body felt cooler now, but still warm to the touch; she couldn't stop her hands from trembling. Everything was so overwhelming.

"Charlie?"

The teen opened her eyes, revealing her now calm, green irises. She didn't even turn her head to acknowledge her dad's or Thor's presence on the rooftop. She knew that Ezra was sure to have told him about their secret place; he would have found it out eventually.

Tony turned back to Thor, and gave him a quick nod. He was grateful for his help, and he knew how close his daughter and the God had grown over their short acquaintance. Thor watched Charlotte with sad eyes, and with a returning nod he gave Tony a firm pat on the shoulder before heading back through the fire escape doorway.

"Can I sit?" Tony asked, and once he received a blunt nod from his daughter, he made sure to approach with caution. In truth, he still did not understand what had just happened, but he did understand why she ran.

"I hurt Nat." She said after a moment of silence. Her voice was meek and almost ashamed. "I didn't mean to. I swear I didn't."

Tony nodded, a tight smile on his lips. "I know that, and Nat knows that. I don't think for a second that anyone suspects that you meant to hurt her."

Charlotte glanced down at her lap before whispering, "She must hate me."

"She doesn't hate you. Nobody does." Tony tried to reassure her. Charlotte raised her head slightly, turning to pass a glance at her dad. He was still cradling his arm loosely against his chest, his eyes appeared worn.

"I'm sorry, dad." She whispered, and Tony passed her a confused glance. She slunk back into herself not wanting to look him in the eye for fear of guilt. With a sigh she confessed, "The Extremis has been back for a while now, months. I've been training behind your back, mainly when you're away with the team."