Eight

Severus

The dour potions master watched over the Dark Lord's wife, and reported his findings to Dumbledore in his office.

"I expected the ring to curse her as it did me," Dumbledore said, cradling his blackened hand. Severus was able to contain the curse there, but the reckless Gryffindor would die, nothing could stop that, it was inevitable.

"He...I have never seen him favor a witch as much as he favors her," Severus reported. "Publicly, they act formal, and what you might expect, but in private they seem...happy. I can only surmise that the curse is neutralized by any family members wearing the ring."

"So, he's slept with her."
"Obviously."

"Do you think Harry is in danger?" Dumbledore asked.

He fought the urge to roll his eyes at the older wizard. Of course, he is in danger, you idiot! And what's more, is why do you even care? He is a damn horcrux himself. But of course, he kept these wandering thoughts to himself.

Dumbledore paced about his office, saddened by this news. "Why would she turn against us like this, Severus? Voldemort hates witches and wizards like her?" He asked.

Good. Well, I suppose you aren't as dumb as you look, then. "She made the Unbreakable Vow not to betray him. But it was an unnecessary precaution on his part, I believe."

Dumbledore sat down at his desk and folded his hands together. Severus was surprised that he even had feeling enough in his blackened hand to do that much.

"So she loves him."
"Yes."

"Then we're screwed. I had counted on Hermione being able to feed us information, perhaps even to hunt down these horcruxes Voldemort made. But if she is able to wear them without it affecting her, and she is fully allied with him then she is a lost cause. Have you been checking up on Draco and what he is up to as I asked?" Dumbledore added.

Severus nodded. "Of course. I am bound to protect the boy, naturally. Now, am I dismissed? I do have classes to teach, unlike you."

Dumbledore scowled. "Fine. But keep an eye on Hermione. She is liable to do anything to prove her loyalty to her husband. Does she wear the Mosmorta?"

"No."
"Why?"

Severus smirked. "Because she is the Dark Lady, not one of his soldiers. Good day, Headmaster."

Severus left the befuddled old wizard to stew over his report. In the mean time, he had classes to teach and his own brand of false information to pass off to the Dark Lord. He would have to see to barring Hermione from Order meetings over the summer, but he had to tread a very fine line, because he did not want to make the witch suspicious of him. Voldemort trusted his wife, after all. If she said that he was a traitor, then he would believe her. He just had to hide his time and play the long game, like any good Slytherin, and hopefully, keep his life in the end...

🐍-----

Dumbledore

Two weeks later, the old Headmaster watched during lunch time the owls delivering their letters. Hermione had lots of mail, offers to do interviews by Daily Prophet reporters, flowers, chocolates. Then he heard Hermione light up with joy when she caught a sealed envelope in her hands...

🐍---

"Who else would be writing to you, Mione'?" Harry asked.

Ron snatched it out of my hands just as I broke the seal off the back of the envelope. "Oi! It's...gibberish. Look, Harry."

Harry looked just as clueless as Ron, and I read what Tom wrote me in a code only we knew, and which we devised ourselves:

Lioness,