Reaper's Veil - Part 1

Late into the night, several members of the idol V-tuber group Hololive are gathered inside a restaurant for a get-together.

The group consisted of multiple different members of the Japanese and the English branch. They thought since they had the night off, they might as well spend it on some booze and barbecue.

"Uwahh that's some good beer!" the tipsy pirate, Houshou Marine gushed.

"Yeah I can drink 3 more mugs," a perfectly sober, Yukihana Lamy said, despite already downing 2 mugs plus 3 bottles of sake.

"I think you should take a break," Shiranui Flare advised, concerned for her junior's drinking habits.

"Oh, you're not drinking Calli?" asked Takanashi Kiara to her fellow English genmate.

"I was gonna but then I thought I wouldn't have room to drink the wine I have at home and that baby is waiting to be opened," responded Calliope Mori.

As the clock ticked behind in the background, and people came and went, the girls continued their little get-together which eventually led to Marine and Lamy becoming very drunk, prompting the others to stop for their sake.

While she chatted with the others, Calli then overheard a couple behind her being all lovey-dovey.

The reaper apprentice could hear the sweet words the couple said to each other, and without the need of turning her head could tell the acts of love they shared between one another.

But as she continued to listen, an image flashed in her mind, followed by a stinging feeling in her chest. She clasped her glass tighter and her eyes began to mist as the image in her head became more prominent.

So deep into her thoughts, Calli didn't realise that she had already been called several times by Kiara.

"Calli!"

Now snapping out of her thoughts, the pink-haired girl looked at her peers and saw their concerned looks.

"Are you ok, you've been spaced out all this time?" Kiara asked, grabbing her friends wrist while looking deep into her eyes.

"Yeah, yeah I'm good," the reaper responded, flustered.

While most of them let her change in demeanour slide, Kiara couldn't help but feel worried for her friend, she's never seen the reaper be so deep in thought before.

The phoenix continued to observe her friend and noticed the lonely, broken visage she wore as she stared onto her glass of soda. Then like Calli, she overheard the couple behind her and her eyes widened as she came into realisation of Calli's change in demeanour.

"Hey Calli-chan?" a drunk Marine asked.

"Hmm? Yes senpai?" the reaper responded.

"Your reaper outfit has a veil doesn't it? Is that normal or were you married?"

A long silence then befell the group, before everyone then screamed at Marine while blazing red in colour.

Each girl then began to reprimand the pirate, though it wasn't like she could register their words.

"I was."

Stopping their scolding, the girls then ever so slowly turned their heads back to Calli, who had begun to play with her fingers while smiling a little.

------------------------------------------

She could remember the day when she met the young man. It was a hot summer's day in the mortal world, she was tasked to guide a soul in a hospital, however, while searching for the soul she found herself entering the wrong room.