ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 10

⪻3rd person⪼

Andrea Marino's announcement prompted every attendee to turn their heads and line their vision with the huge flight of steps. Almost immediately after, another overhead spotlight shone from above and fell directly on a silhouette of a mysterious beauty heaving a golden hue on the figure, revealing her profile.  Head held high, with a spine made of steel, Anastasia stood at the top of the huge stairway in all her glory wrapped in a floor-length-off-shoulder-full sleeve golden dress with a thigh-high slit on her right side. Her countenance, devoid of any emotion and her poise, unmatched by any other person in the room. The previously turned heads now slowly guided their entire bodies to face the star of the night in open-mouthed awe. Some gasps also echoed through the now silent hall. 

The only person who had his broad back towards the stairs was Luca Lombardo who stood out like a sore thumb. But when he finally loosened up and swivelled around, he couldn't contain the harsh intake of breath that followed. She was gorgeous. But images of her trying to gun him down soon urged his jaws to clench and fists to ball up.

 "Damnn girl". He heard Alice whisper beside him grinning brightly. She appeared to be quite proud of her friend. 

Unlike the Barzinis that followed her, Ana's unwavering gaze remained on the stage. She did not search for anything in the crowd. She didn't need to. No possible danger was allowed to quiver her pace. The slow steps she took downward matched the unhurried beats of the new soft jazz now started by the band. This night was going to be challenging and she knew exactly why. Someone has emerged from death. Someone who was capable of incinerating her entire world. Someone with whom she never had a word for the last 18 years. Someone who came to avenge the attempt she made on his life. 

After what felt like hours, Ana finally set her foot on the final step, eyes still on the stage. The crowd slowly split to either side of the grand hall anticipating an eventful night. But with a scowl that replaced the previous awe, Luca stood motionless while the crowd parted like the red sea for Anastasia to walk forward where the stage awaited her. There was no way he was moving away from her. This brought back the prior tension that prevailed before Andrea Marino claimed the dais. The crowd was getting jittery and started murmuring among themselves with faces marred with anxiety. Everyone wanted to leave the building unharmed after the night. They took the chance by trusting Andrea's promise to them. 

"We'll make sure whatever that comes as an obstacle for the smooth running of this night, will be taken care of."

Of course, everyone took notice of this. The Barzinis, Marinos and the rest of the Lombardos. Soon enough a sole figure concealed the stage from Ana's line of vision and her darkened gaze was met with a man standing still in the middle of her way like an impediment she has to cross before making it safe to the other side. With the left hand tucked inside the pants pocket, and a feigned nonchalance, the figure stared at her right back with a burning vehemence. The band that was fully conscious of what was going on became unsteady with their rhythm and the music faltered. But one sharp look from Andrea provoked the band to continue without bothering with frowns and brows coated in sheen layers of sweat. 

After a moment of studying each other, with an indifference that matched her nemesis, Ana's feet moved with slow decisive steps. Towards her doom. Breathing came a bit shallow and the nerves, that dared to emerge upon seeing probably the most beautiful person ever to want her dead, were swallowed hard. She marched ahead until she was only a foot away from Luca Lombardo. The shock of being in the presence of a person they haven't met this closely for years still lingered around the two. Their respective guards that were scattered around the hall were on edge and alert, waiting for a wrong move from either of them. That was until Luca smirked and nodded his head in acknowledgement.