six | lovers

"Paul, wait!" I hissed, nearly tripping over the corner of the rug as I pulled away from the coffee table.

"Shhh," he put a finger to his lips, and opened the front door.

"Paul!" I huffed, then tossed the pen in my hand on top of the note I left for John and Cyn.

"You're gonna wake 'em up, c'mon!"

He took my hand and we stepped outside. I used my spare key to lock the door back before he hauled me off to his car, and sat me in the passenger's seat. Once he knew that I was settled in beside hin, he looked around and put the car into gear.

"And we're off." He grinned, sneaking a glance over at me with his sparkling irises.

I gave him a look that said oh really? I don't think he entirely noticed it in the dark.

"Can you tell me where you're taking me now?" I asked while stifling a yawn.

Paul hesitated a moment to let a nervous chuckle in. "Oh, yeah," he started. "Well, when I got home from Ringo's, Margret- Jane's mum-" I nodded while he continued on. "She told me that my dad had called, and that I had to call him back. So I did..."

His tongue darted out and captured his bottom lip. He shook his head, and finally said, "He's met someone. A woman, I mean. He's proposed to 'er an'ev'rything."

"What, d'you not like her or summat?"

"No, nothing like that, Angie sounds like a lovely woman. It's just a little strange, y'know... I never thought he'd get over me mum..."

Oh... I looked down to my lap and thought, okay, I understand now...

"Are you taking me along for emotional support, then?" I giggled, trying to make it into a lighthearted joke.

Paul chuckled, reached over to grab my hand, and pulled it to his lips to press a kiss to my knuckles.

"It's not too late to object, y'know. " He said. "I could take you back."

"I'm not going anywhere, Paulie." I promised him. "I'll stay right here for as long as you need me.

○●○●

"Are we there yet?"

"How many times are you gonna ask that?" He chuckled, and continued to weave his fingers in and out of my own.

"Until I get tired of asking it." I smiled, bringing his knuckles to my lips and pressing a kiss to them.

"Well, good news for you, we're nearly there."

Paul was right. Within another twenty minutes we arrived. The garage door was open and we slipped inside. I had never been to Rembrant before, nor hardly heard of it. It was hard to tell in the dark, but was mock-Tudor in style and boasted half an acre of gardens and a few good-sized greenhouses in the back for his father's lifelong passion of gardening that once was confined to little squares of grass confined behind counsil houses.

As the humming engine of the Aston Martin suddenly came to a stop, the door of the garage leading into the house opened to reveal the silhouette of an aged man. The man flicked on the light and stepped out. It was Jim.

We exited the car and Paul hugged his father. Carefully, I walked up behind the two.

"Dad, this is Melody." Paul turned to me.

My voice was small as I said, "hi."

His dad knit his eyebrows together and turned to him, "What happened to Jane?" He asked quietly.