TWENTY FOUR

I've been angry many times but I was certain that wasn't the case this time. My anger had died down minutes ago and something unfamiliar had settled into my chest.

Nick's insinuation had done more than upset me. I didn't want to openly admit it but I was slightly hurt and I could use my fingers to count how times that someone said something that could hurt me.

I sighed and reached for a towel. The water had turned cold after soaking myself in there for an hour. The new bath salts I had ordered from Greece were heavenly and literally therapeutic which was needed after the shitty day I had.

I sauntered into my bedroom, wringing my hair with a towel. After my incident with Nick, I moved out of the suite to another one just down the hall. It was smaller than the other one but it was still extremely luxurious.

A knock rang through the suite just as I was about to pour myself a glass of wine.

I wasn't expecting anyone, especially this late. It was well after 10 pm.

With a groan, I dragged myself to the door ready to throw profanities at whoever was disturbing my evening.

The moment the person behind the door revealed themselves, I found myself closing it again. I didn't need this again.

"Katherine, please." His foot blocked the door just as it was about to shut.

"I don't have anything to say to you, go away." I muttered trying to force the door shut but his large foot wouldn't let me.

"I-I'm here to apologise for earlier so please..."

That halted all my movements. He sounded sincere but I couldn't be sure so I opened the door wide and stared at him.

"I brought dinner." He brought his hands up to show me the bags he was holding.

I wanted to shut the door in his gorgeous face but I was kind of hungry and a glass of wine wasn't going to suffice.

I moved aside and motioned him in. He looked like he had just showered, his hair still looked a bit damp and long gone was the suit and tie, in place was a loose t-shirt and some joggers.

He looked good. If I had a dollar for each time I said that to myself...

Nick settled on one of the plush sofas and set his bags of food down before slowly unpacking.

"I hope you don't mind that I just got some fast food, figured hotel food could get a little boring." He said motioning to the small burgers and chips he had laid in front of him.

My mouth remained shut but my eyes stayed glued to him. He looked cordial enough and that had me relaxing a bit, arguing with him was the last thing I needed right now.

It took me a minute to unfreeze my feet and move to sit in a chair opposite him.

"I want to apologise..." Nick began after a few minutes of us silently scoffing down half the food.

"...I didn't mean whatever I said. It wasn't my place to either. I'm sorry."

His sincerity wasn't something I had prepared for and words kind of failed me for a second, all I could do was nod.

"I want us to try and be cordial with each other. I admit that I've made that slightly difficult...I just wasn't expecting..." His voice trailed off and my curiosity piqued.

"You weren't expecting what?"

Nick took a long minute of silence before he released a sound in between a sigh and a laugh.

"I looked for you when I came back but unfortunately there wasn't any information on you at that club. I wasn't expecting to find the woman who had been giving me sleepless nights to be father's wife."