Chapter 3: Life as ones self.

Chamelion's eyes opened lazily and he walked out of the cave he was forced to live in and looked up at the sky, watching the sun crawl its way across in an apathrtic fashion that matched his own.

Urgh, only three hours sleep, that's actually decent for me.

He thought with a sigh as he buried his head in his talons and looked down at his bland green scales, thinking about his forms longingly.

She couldn't have left me even one could she? I mean... I kind of get taking Shapeshifter but why Cirrus, Bog, and even Soar? I can't even go back to the dragon with whom my daughter was concieved. Even though she stole my scroll I...

He shook himself and sighed whistfully, feeling strangely alone as himself, he so detested his RainWing form.

Ok... so what's on the itiniary for today? Ah, more nothing, joy. I could try for a job again but who would hire a RainWing who can't even camoflage?

He sighed once more as his talons curled into a fist as he looked out at the horizen and the towering shape of jade mountain academy and his tail flicked out.

Maybe Peril's still there, maybe I can see her. Or maybe she'll tell me where that SandWing and RainWing hid my shapes. Although that's probably wishful thinking.

He started pacing back and forth as he thought about what to do,
She's my daughter, surely she'll help me. But she took my scroll away in the first place.
He lightly banged his head on the cave wall before resolving that he needed air and taking off.

He flew over the dense pine forest, spotting a goat running through the trees and diving down to grab it. He misjudged the angle and hit the ground hard with his talon, causing him to spin out and crash into a tree.

Shapeshifter would've caught that, come to think about it any of them would have.

He thought bitterly as he stumbled to his talons and looked around the forest for that goat, but to no avail. He sighed and slumped over onto the ground as he closed his eyes but, of course, couldn't fall asleep.

That's it, anything has to be better than this. I have literally nothing to lose.

He stood up and lifted off once again, flying in the direction of jade mountain, not giving himself time to think.

No time to hesitate, I have to do this, I want my shapes back but more than that... I have to see my daughter.

He flew up the side of the mountain, panting slightly as he flapped his wings at an unreasonable rate to make it up.

This isn't fast enough, this stupid body is far too slow, at least my SeaWing has swimming to compensate.

He thought as he flew past the entrance and slipped through one of the smaller cave entrances as he didn't want to deal with guards.

It's not like they'll recognise me, the only ones who've seen the real me are Peril, and maybe the RainWing and SandWing but it was night.

He walked through the narrow cave halls and squeezed through the smallest cracks he could pheesably fit into as he headed towards the interior of the mountain.

He travelled for what felt like hours, tripping and crashing into things as Chamelion stumbled through the darkness until his eyes finally registered light, and not even natural light, but the light of a lantern.

He pushed his way into a semi-strait corridor with a smoothed out rock floor, lanterns hung from chains at regular intervals along the seiling with tapastries along the walls.