Part 28-A Name for a Fire

Deku POV

The fights went well. Everyone gave it their all, but in the end, it was sheer skill or natural advantage that gave the win. Finally, at the end of it all, there were only four contestants left. Shinso, Todoroki, Bakugou, and Tsuyu.

The first fight was between Bakugou and Tsuyu. An interesting pair, both held blistering speed and unusual advantages. It went back and forth for a while, so long I began to think that they might have a time-out and have to go again. However, Bakugou got together the wits to defeat Tsuyu. I hummed to myself, turning over the possibilities she could have used to net the win. She had improved impressively, but not enough to defeat such a mighty foe. I'd have to discuss that with her on the next patrol.

The next fight was one I looked forward to for a long time. Todoroki versus Shinso, who I had contacted beforehand. Todoroki, after seeing Endeavor in the stands, had returned to his abstinence of fire. I had found Shinso and asked him for a favor, knowing I could do nothing more to get Todoroki's true power to shine.

The match began. A tense face-off, but one that only lasted a few seconds. Todoroki raised his right arm. If Shinso didn't act fast, he'd be frozen in place, and Todoroki would have an easy win.

As it seems, however, I was right in asking the purple-haired boy for help.

"Hey."

A simple start- a way to ease tension, perhaps?

Todoroki did not reply. I was lucky to be in a spot close enough that I could see both their faces. He raised an eyebrow slightly. Shinso continued.

"A certain you-know-who pulled me aside before."

I frowned. Aoi and Kaito sat in the stands above the entrance tunnel where I spectated from.

He has a plan, don't worry.

My frown deepened. I know he has a plan, he's not dumb enough to enter the fight without one. I'm just wondering what the plan is.

Trust me, it's a good plan. One that might work, if he can execute it right.

I pushed my attention back to the battleground. "He told me you don't like your fire because of your father."

Todoroki frowned. Shinso shrugged.

"It's pretty easy to tell, all things considered. I already knew before he even told me, he was just confirmation." Shinso jabbed a finger at the boy with red and white hair. "I'm with him. It's pretty cowardly of you to not use a full half of your power, pal. I'd advise you put the ability you are lucky to have to good use."

Todoroki's expression deepened. He raised his right arm more. Shinso shrugged again, lowering his hand and accusing finger. "Alright, go ahead. Be petty like that."

Todoroki snarled. "I'm not being-"

And then he stopped. Shinso's plan clicked in my head when he grinned. He could order Todoroki to walk away. Or he could really do what I asked him to...

As it seemed, Shinso was feeling cooperative today. "I command you to abstain from using the ice part of your quirk." He snapped his fingers and Todoroki grimaced.

So now Todoroki is backed into a corner. He can do nothing and fight Shinso hand-to-hand, which he won't win, or he can use his fire. A rock and a hard place, I suppose.

As I had hoped, up went the left arm. A bolt of fire blistered through the stagnant air to burn the ground where Shinso had been standing. So it went, back and forth and back and forth, until Shinso leaped behind Todoroki. Bad move.