Chapter 16: Strange Chakra

Flashback

"N-Naruto-sama," The Snake Sannin, formerly of the Hidden Leaf, stuttered in surprise, a nine-year-old Naruto who was standing in one of his many hideouts spread out throughout the shinobi nations. "What are you doing here?" 

"Orochimaru," Naruto said, peering at the Sannin, not even bothering to hide the disgust in his eyes. "Pain said you deserted the organization after a cheap shot at Sasori-sensei. Is this true?" 

Orochimaru smiled slyly. "Of course I did, after all, I-" He was cut off from finishing his sentence as he was forced to dodge a kunai that would have split his skull open, it splitting the concrete wall behind him, the cracks forming a spider-like web. 

"Then you're a traitor," Naruto said simply, his blue eyes shined as he formed a hand sign. "And the Akatsuki does not abide by traitors, just like a farmer tending his garden," The boy's expression darkened, the chakra surrounding his body causing his raven-colored hair to fly wildly. "The snakes must be disposed of!" 

Orochimaru's eyes widened. "Naruto-sama, you can't be serious, can you?" Naruto's expression didn't change, but the chakra swirling around his form died down slightly.

"Explain." 

Orochimaru released a chuckle. "Pardon me if this comes out disrespectful, but have you no free will?" The chakra completely died down, Naruto's wild hair settling on top of his head. Orochimaru took this as a sign to continue. "I mean, you have the power that many shinobi would kill to get ahold of! You've already surpassed many of the standing Kage throughout the nations, and yet, here you are killing off one of your subordinates under the orders of Pain." 

Naruto didn't speak, nor correct Orochimaru. It had been Tobi who had ordered the Snake Sannin's death, having pulled the Jinchuuriki aside after Pain had waved the news off. But still. . .

"Don't speak to me as if I'm just some child, Orochimaru, you know better than others just what I'm capable of. I have free will. . ." Naruto said, his eyes narrowed. 

Orochimaru shook his head. "Kukuku, Naruto-sama, if that were true," He met his master's eyes. "Then why are you still a slave to the Akatsuki?"

Flashback End

Sakura hovered over Sasuke's unconscious body, a wet rag in her hand as she held it to the Uchiha's forehead. He was overheating, that much was obvious seeing how much sweat was dampening his clothes. She thought of maybe taking off his shirt, she would even admit that she had perversely thought of the idea, but had shoved it away.

She couldn't do much. Observing the small tattoo that had appeared on her crush's neck, she saw that it resembled Sasuke's Sharingan a little bit, but other than that, she had no idea what it was. Neither the academy, nor the books she read during her free time, had prepared her for any of this. 

She had doubts about participating in the exams, but now that Orochimaru of the Sannin had attacked them, she regretted her decision even more. After the Sannin had been pulled somewhere deep into the forest, she knew that she had to get away. She dragged Sasuke to a tree that's roots had grown above the earth, creating a small shelter under the tree. 

'Where is Naruto. . .'  The pinkette thought, her worried frown getting deeper. "That idiot better be okay," She mumbled to herself.

Sakura was snapped out of her thoughts however when she heard the loud crack of a branch being broken in half echo throughout the forest, relatively close as well. She cursed her luck for the fiftieth time that day and peered between the cracks and saw a team of three standing in the clearing.