Chapter 1: Unshackled

The air of Konoha was filled with smoke and agony, screams of the wounded, and the cries of those who had lost someone during the cruel attack on the village of Konoha were the only things to be heard in the village. 

Fires burned, houses turned to ash, red splatter and clothing were all that left on the battlefield where the Nine-Tailed Fox had squashed and ravaged. It had happened out of nowhere. It was out of the blue and they had been totally unprepared for such an event. 

And thus was the most tragic day in Konoha history. But that night would only get worse. . .

Obito Uchiha looked silently at the dead bodies of his old mentor and father-figure along with his wife, the two holding hands and smiling even in death. There was a large hole in each of their chests, the Kyuubi's claw had pierced both of them in one swing. They had shielded something. He shook his head.

It didn't matter. He had tested himself accurately enough. In just a span of an hour, he had crippled the strongest shinobi village of them all by himself. He not only laid waste to the village by using the Kyuubi he had extracted from Kushina Uzumaki, but he was also responsible for the deaths of their beloved Fourth Hokage. 

He wasn't proud of what he had done, but he was satisfied that he had done it. He was strong enough and would only get stronger. If he could live after fighting the Fourth Hokage and emerge the victor, he was satisfied. He turned around and was ready to use his Mangekyou Sharingan to use Kamui and teleport himself out of the village to somewhere safer, no doubt hundreds of Konoha shinobi were rushing to this spot this very second. 

But he stopped when he heard a cry. It wasn't a cry of agony or sadness, nor a cry of despair or hatred. It was a cry of innocence. He felt his body instinctively turn around and beyond the bodies of Minato and Kushina, he saw a baby laying on a small pillow, a fresh seal mark on his body. 

He looked down towards Minato and shook his head. The man loved his village so much he would seal the beast into his own son, dooming him to live a life filled with hate and suffering. No good was going to happen from him staying here. 

He walked over to the crying child and noted that there were three whisker-like marks on each cheek. He had a small patch of blond hair at the top of his head, the same color as Minato's. This baby was now the Jinchuuriki of the most powerful to the Tailed Beasts. He thought for a moment.

He needed the Kyuubi in order to fulfill the Infinite Tsukuyomi plan. Things were not going to be ready for quite some time and he had already gotten the once peace-loving organization known as the Akatsuki under his thumb. It would take several years before they could begin moving and collecting the Jinchuuriki, and no doubt with this boy being the son of Minato Namikaze, he would be a thorn in their side in doing so. 

He bent down and scooped the child up in his arms. The baby quieted down instantly, dozing off to sleep. Obito was annoyed that was all it took in order to calm the child down. He walked away from the pillow and was ready to leave when a voice broke the silence.

"Please!" He recognized that voice. It was Kakashi. "Please don't take him too!" His voice was filled with so much worry that Obito bothered to glance back. He saw the pathetic state Kakashi was in, his eye was bloodshot and his Sharingan was covered. The panic in his posture was amusing to the Uchiha.

"Kakashi of the Sharingan," He spoke, his voice deeper and sounding eerily similar to a younger version of Madara. "Would you rather I leave this child in this village's care? Surely you know the life he will live will be a cruel one if he remains here." Kakashi faltered for a second.