Six

Realisation hit James. He was going to kill you, a fraction too soon if he continued. He released his grip, forced your heat from his cold body.

You panted now that your mouth was free, cheeks flustered and your eyes glazed. He stepped only a foot back from you, he anticipated that you might collapse. Or run.

He'd cocked it up. Terrified you most likely. His eyes flickered to the heavy lampshade to your right, but that really wasn't how he had intended to kill you....

"I'm sorry my dear, my sincerest apologies, I lost control of myself there..." he tested in a laboured voice.

You collected yourself, misty eyes meeting his and just when he thought you might bolt, you smiled. It was a small, coy smile that made you look like the most wicked of angels.

"It's ok, me too" you breathed with laughter in your eyes.

James let out an excruciating sigh, it was all he could do not to clap his hands together in rejoice.

"You are terribly irresistible you know" he smirked down at you "did I...frighten you pet?"

You placed your slight hand on the bend in his elbow, where his forearms seemed to be hovering out towards you. It was an affectionate gesture from you and James blinked.

"No. I got carried away too" your voice dropped to a murmer "I actually feel pretty safe with you, protected sorta. I know that probably sounds weird, because, well, we've only just met. But for some reason, it's true."

That reason will be the morphine dear.

He allowed your pause, your hand still on his arm as he watched you grow more and more uncomfortable. 

"But" you started, and your eyes began shifting onto everything in the room, anything except for him "I'm only recently single..and I'm not ready to-I mean, this sort of thing isn't me. I don't even kiss on a first date, because I think you should really know someone before anything physical-" you babbled on and his calculating eyes gripped you "but you're-"

It wasn't intended, but his hand slipped into the side of your hair anyway, and he cupped your cheek to silence you.

"It's quite alright my dear, I'm not trying to take you to bed" he urged, in the kindest tone he could manage with your sweet taste still lingering in his mouth "true I know nothing of your last beau, and though I am extremely fond of you Y/N, I do plan to take my time, you're more than worth it.."

You still looked sheepish, like you had more to say regarding his last remark, but he couldn't allow you the chance this time.

James was an addict, and you stirred awake in him the only stimulant close to murder - sex. If you kept squirming and spluttering like that he might just have you for both.

He withdrew his hand from your face, forced himself to do it slowly, carefully.

"My lovely girl, you seem awfully sleepy, come now, it's getting late. I think you should get some rest, perhaps the wine was a little strong for your taste."

"Yeah I think you're right" you yawned mid-sentence and James chuckled through gritted teeth.

"Thanks for the meal James, and the dance. I had a really nice time." you smiled, eyes half-lidded and he walked you to the door. Your legs were faltering with each step.

"It was my pleasure Y/N. I'll find you tomorrow. Good night, and sweet dreams, angel."

He leaned in to press a goodbye kiss to your cheek, he moved with a stiff caution now but you were too drowsy to notice.

"Goodnight James."