Surprise visit

Patrick

After my date with Rowan, we spent more time together. My brothers, cousins, and the girls took turns walking with Rowan to worry about Robbie. And I kept the barracuda at arm's length. I'm good with emailing correspondence regarding the class.

Rowan and I hung out and worked on schoolwork when someone knocked on the door. I got up and answered it to find Kyler and Demarco standing there.

"What are you fools doing here?" I asked them.

"Our parents want us to check out the college and transfer," Kyler said.

Kyler and Demarco glanced inside to see Rowan sitting on the couch.

"Shit." Demarco turned to leave, Kyler stopped him.

"Will you relax?" Kyler asked Demarco.

"If there is a girl with Pat, I'm out. I don't need another trip to the hospital."

"I doubt you will get a second chance unless you're stupid."

Rowan got up and walked to the door. Demarco looked up at the sky and prayed. Kyler rolled his eyes.

"What are you tools doing here?" Val asked.

Our cousins whipped around to see my brothers standing behind them.

"Pops wanted me to check out the college," Kyler said.

"And you dragged the punching bag with you?" Romeo laughed. "Good luck." He walked past them, shaking his head.

"You're a dick, Romeo!" Demarco said.

"Ignore our dipshit brother. He's too busy running his mouth instead of making intelligent decisions," Rafe said.

Rowan and I stepped aside as everyone came inside. I closed the door behind them. I introduced Kyler and Demarco to Rowan. A few minutes later, Casper and Liam strolled into the house.

"Aw, shit. Who let you out of your cages?" Casper asked.

"Yo, momma did," Kyler said.

"Oh, because I'm sure yo momma needs the extra work. Isn't a street corner missing their highest client?" Casper asked.

"I don't know. We should call yo momma," Kyler said.

Rowan wrinkled her forehead and cocked her head at me. "Should I take cover?"

My lips curled upward as my cousins smirked. "No, it's normal for them to insult each other."

"Oh."

"Except certain things are off-limits with everyone. No one can joke about Casper's adoption, Pat's deafness, or our race." Demarco gestured between Kyler and himself.

"Huh?" Rowan asked.

I looked at Rowan. "Casper's mom left him on the church's doorstep, and his dads adopted him, along with his older brother, Jordin. Kyler and Demarco are biracial. Kyler is half black/half white. Demarco is half black/half mexican."

"Ah," Rowan said.

"So, what's the 411? Who's ass do we need to beat?" Kyler cracked his knuckles.

"You aren't here to check out colleges, are you?" I asked.

Demarco smacked Kyler's arm. "I told you they wouldn't buy the college deal."

"Chill. Damn, you're more uptight than an oyster hiding its pearl," Kyler told Demarco.

"Robbie DeChamp has been hanging around campus," Val mentioned.

Kyler looked at Val. "Didn't that fool learn from the last time that you kicked his ass?"