Chapter 19 - The Saviour

Kaida lay between Shoto's legs on a hospital bed, half asleep on his chest as one of his hands ran through her hair, his other arm draped over her waist, tracing circles over her lower back. Both of them wore white sweatpants and white shirts, issued to them by the hospital to spend the night in.

A small army of ambulances and police cars had transported the exhausted, battered students of class 1-A back to Musutafu, the majority of them being ordered to stay overnight in the hospital for observation. Kaida had reluctantly threatened several members of staff that had tried to keep her isolated in her own room until they had caved, stepping aside and letting her hunt down Shoto's room and crawl into his arms, beginning to fall into a deep sleep the second she stopped moving.

She jolted awake when the moon was still high in the black sky, her body flinching violently in her sleep. Shoto didn't stir beneath her, his even breathing lightly gracing the top of her head and she sighed in relief that she hadn't woken him.

She groggily slipped out of his embrace, wincing as her bare feet touched the cold, tiled floor. She used her shadows to soundlessly open the door and click it shut behind her, looking left and right in the dimly lit hallway to ensure no nurses would see her walking around so late and force her back to bed.

She tried not to feel like a creep as she passed by numerous hospital rooms, peering into the small windows in the doors until she found her target. Momo Yayorozu's room was only a few hallways away, and Kaida padded carefully towards the bed where the black-haired girl slept, shaking her shoulder gently to avoid scaring her.

Yayorozu's eyes snapped open, and Kaida jerked away as she shot upwards in her bed.

"Kisaragi? What on earth-"

"I'm so sorry Yayorozu but I need a copy of the signal receiver you gave to the pros."

Yayorozu stared at her for several seconds, a confused expression adorning her face before it morphed into one of annoyance and disapproval. "Absolutely not." She said firmly. "I will not aid you in breaking clear rules and doing something that the pros are perfectly capable of doing themselves."

Kaida huffed in frustration. "The pros will take days to go after him and I- '' She rubbed the bridge of her nose, not proud of how she was about to handle this. She moved to Yayorozu's side in one swift motion, slamming her hand into the wall next to the girl's head as she leaned in close, her eyes glowing with rage. "I need to get my soulmate back, Yaoyorozu. I can feel his absence inside me like a black hole and it hurts. I need him back." She hissed.

Yayorozu's eyes were wide and panicky. "You- you'll be breaking the law! Using your quirks without permission, you'll be acting like villains!"

"I don't give a fuck what I'm acting like. I am getting him back no matter the cost." Kaida growled, trying to suppress the guilt flooding through her at Yayorozu's fearful but determined expression. "You can give me the receiver and I'll be in and out in a flash, or you can refuse and I'll tear down the city to find him if I have to."

Yayorozu sighed, slowly moving to unbutton the first few buttons of her hospital gown as her chest glowed with the activation of her quirk, and a small grey box began to emerge from her skin.

"When you get caught, make sure the heroes know I played no willing part in this. I can't afford to tarnish my record." Yayorozu said guiltily as she handed over the receiver.

Kaida nodded. "I'll tell them I forced you." She said flatly, trying not to let her anger rise at Yayorozu's unwillingness to help her classmate. Her reluctance was understandable, they were breaking the law. The thought of what their punishment could involve made the hairs on Kaida's arms rise. But it was worth it to get Katsuki back. Despite his seemingly untameable rage and toxic hatred for the world, the ache of his absence still made her stomach feel like a bottomless, gaping hole desperately needing to be filled.