Chapter 27 - The Other Side

It hurt. It all hurt. The air hurt her lungs, the pillow hurt her head and the sheets hurt her skin. It shouldn't hurt anymore; the pain was supposed to be over. It was meant to be soft, and light and quiet. It was indeed light, but it was harsh and fluorescent, forcing its way through her closed eyelids. Her ears were filled with obnoxious beeping that pierced her skull and made her head ache.

Her body resisted her commands to move, every muscle feeling like it was made of cement. Her pinkie gave a minuscule twitch, making pins and needles race through her hand. There was something in her right hand, something soft and warm, that twitched when she curled her fingers around it, and squeezed her hand back in response.

"Kai?"

The voice that spoke her name sounded a million worlds away.

"Kai, can you hear me?"

It was a whispering echo that danced around her head.

"Kai..." There was a hand clasping her own. "Wake up."

Opening her eyes felt like trying to force the doors of an elevator apart. The light was blinding, turning her vision into a staticy mess of black and white as she blinked slowly. The same rough voice continued to speak, but the muffled words were lost before they reached her ears.

She tried to inhale deeply through her nose, but a series of coughs forced their way up her throat. She choked and gasped, the tubes up her nose that had been giving her air now feeling like they were stuck in her throat.

The beeping grew louder and more painful. There was a hand on her shoulder, and then on her head, gently stroking her hair.

"Hey, you're alright. You're alright, just take deep breaths. You're ok."

Her eyes snapped open, chest rising and falling a little slower. It was all clear; every speck of dirt on the shining white walls, every button on every beeping machine, and two glowing eyes, the colour of rubies. They were wide and panicked as Katsuki leant over her; and a fearful smile ghosted his lips.

"Hey." His fingers combed through her hair, cautious of the stitches in the side of her head as he brushed stray strands off her face.

Kaida gave another dry cough. "Water..." she rasped.

Katsuki's eyebrows rose, and he nodded, eyes darting around the room before he rose, walking out of her line of sight before returning with a plastic cup of water. He slid an arm under her shoulders, and she winced as he gently lifted her into a sitting position and held her up while he brought the cup to her lips.

She sighed once the cup was empty, licking her wet lips.

"Better?" Katsuki asked.

She didn't think she had ever heard his voice so soft and gentle. She swallowed thickly, giving him a tiny nod.

She frowned tiredly as she took in his forearms, wrapped in thick layers of crisp white bandages.

Katsuki followed his gaze to his injuries. "Just went a bit overboard during the fight." He forced out a strained laugh. "Burned some skin off."

She nodded again, chewing on her bottom lip.

"I wanna see Shoto." She murmured, her voice dry and raspy.

Katsuki's expression dropped. "Kai-"

"I know I shouldn't move." She cut him off. "But I just wanna see him. Just for a bit."

Katsuki inhaled shakily, pursing his lips. His stomach twisted and churned uncomfortably.

"Kai..." He tried again, taking her hands in his. "Todor- Shoto's dead."