Chapter 1

I woke up, blinking as I felt the sun splash on my face. I groaned I had stayed up late watching the world outside my window. Today was a testing day when the Grisha examiners would come. I was a little late for my examination.

 Nobody knew their birthdays here so we just counted the years. I had been here for 16 years I was brought here as a baby by some war widow but she couldn't take care of me. I rolled out of bed and flopped down on the floor. 

The other girls all crowded around to see why I had flopped on the floor. " You ok? " Lex asked me grabbing my arm and pulling me up. " Fine, I just don't want to get out of bed today. " I said sighing. " You can say that again. " Fayina said yawning. 

Ali rolled her eyes as I brushed off my nightgown. We all had similar white cream nightgowns but we each got to choose a floral fabric each year for our dresses. We all had grown up together we were just 15 young girls sleeping together in the same room it had been like that my whole life. They where like my sisters.

 I had seen some of them fight or pick on others but I was never bullied or disliked. Even the boys were weird around me. " Well since I'm out of bed, if you'll excuse me I'm going to go get dressed. With that I squeezed through the group of girls and opened the trunk at the end of my bed carefully picking out a pretty light grey shirt and a emerald green skirt.

 I headed towards the bathrooms and quickly changed neatly folding back my nightgown in the trunk. We didn't have much but it was better then being in the streets or all alone. I studied myself in the mirror. I had long raven black haired with curled around my face elegantly. A small button nose and bright blue- grey eyes. My eyelashes were thick and I had slight freckles on my nose but they were light and very small a little secret to myself. 

My favorite part of my appearance which I always thought prettier in the brook by the orphanage was my bright blue- grey eyes. They stood out to me like gems. I loved them dearly. I walked out of the bathroom mentally running my schedule for today in my mind. 

Breakfast

Math

History

Break

Lunch- When the examiners would arrive

Writing

Free time for the rest of the day.

It felt nice to run things over in my mind it assured me I knew what I was doing. I headed straight to breakfast humming to myself. The dining room wasn't anything grand just a few chairs and tables put in a room. All of us had a chore to do but today I did not neither did any kid to get tested. I didn't really know what they did to test you but most kids had warned me about it so I wouldn't be surprised at anything.

 I sat at a table, there was some food set out and I took some eggs on my plate. A few boys eyed my table but I ignored them. Ali, Lex, and Fayina walked over to my table. I waved at them. " You ditched us! " Ali complained flipping her hair and eyeing some boys. I laughed classic Ali. " More like overwhelmed her. " Lex teased. I just through some egg at her. She laughed and opened her mouth like she was trying to catch it. 

Fayina started throwing egg up in the air as Lex tried to catch them in her mouth both laughing. I grinned at them but Ali huffed. " Whats wrong Ali? " I asked glancing at where she was looking at. Lex and Fayina followed her gaze and all three of us started laughing. " Omg Ali you have got to be kidding me. " Lex said through laughter. 

" What!? Where gonna end up with one of them anyways. Might as well get the good looking ones. " Ali said looking flustered. I just shook my head a bit. " Can we sit? " A male voice said behind me. Ali instantly started to twirl her hair shyly. I sighed turning around.