Chapter 1

Chapter 1

      How long had it been since those days? Cuddled up in another's arms, no longer fearing what may happen in a weeks or months time, soon learning what true and unfiltered gaiety was in those few short months. Never had he imaged to find himself here, just as he had never suspected to be there with him, nor what followed after that, only these were two entirely different circumstances, one which he didn't wish upon anyone else, or possibly he did, mind clouded and incapable to differentiate his wants, needs, and overall his desires. 

       What marked today? An anniversary he dreaded, one where he had to be forcefully drug out from underneath heavy sheets to celebrate a marriage he felt nothing toward, dressed for the occasion in which he could see no importance nor value in the day of festivities. There was far more that he should be doing on these days, not primed in white and each movement felt automatic, every smile and word of appreciation. Married to one who was handed to the Kingdom as their Queen, only to be far from the truth, one he had kept to himself for the safety of him. The truth would be buried with Alfred tonight.

      Glancing back at the palace walls which by now been congested in thousands of leaves, the palace towers kept out of his sight, not bothering to take a second thought on returning, to think through his actions as he removed the wedding band on his own hand although if it was really his he could argue against that, the ring was better off labeled to the courts. Dropping the small object into the hole he had dug only days prior, before he decided to go through with his plans, for a wish he had held for fifteen years. 

       Dirt was kicked over the gold band, hastily placing a white rose by the mound, a symbol of his death or perhaps the death of now but not forever, he didn't care for this small token, and even as a voice nagged him from the back of his mind to go back, to place the band on and return, that this in-fact was not what either of them would want, especially the one who had given him his heart. To no longer look back on the past and settle to live out a lavish life with someone who, as many had proclaimed, matched his strength and physical charm, he let out a hallow laugh at the mere thought. All that had even been was a front, the Queen only being that strong due to the King splitting his own self and magic in half, after all, they couldn't cause panic knowing that there truly was only one chosen ruler, that would send the Kingdom into mayhem - maybe that was what he was planning to do now. Behind the curtains, the fake smiles, the high pitched voice, and the illusion of it all, they were vile and what he could assume to be, in his dearests voice 'an ass of a bastard' before the other would take a swing of his drink with a sneer with knowing Alfred's situation. 

        The average pay for palace workers had begun exceeding those of centuries thus making the courts furious, disapproving of such a change, but what was Alfred to do? Raising the servants wages was for the better, rather than having an overhanging allegation of mistreatment conducted by one of the royal members, and Alfred would be up on the stand, able to attest to all of it, having seen every scratch and bruise as he often made sure to pull them aside and do a thorough check anytime someone had been left long than ten minutes with the Queen. He had already seen too much suffering, he wouldn't see it any longer but Yao refused to let him abdicate them, and he would willingly renounce himself if he had a chance. They weren't going to change anytime soon, removing them seemed the only reasonable explanation, might end in his assassination but who was he to complain, but there was only one way to cease these actions if he couldn't remove either of them from their titles, one way to discover what warmth was once again. 

       A sacrifice on his end, one that would leave the supposed Queen alone, powerless, and defenseless, just as he intended to do because once he was gone then so was their contract. Yao would flee soon after that came to light, maybe off to Clubs to stay with their King in hiding, never to be heard or seen from and a possible bounty placed over his head. Alfred's heart pained at leaving the man in such a predicament, then again, it had to be done, leaving a note or any indication of his intentions would have him chained in the dungeons. That was all he could tell himself, it had to happen to prove a lesson he wish nobody ever had to learn.