Chapter 5

Alfred dropped the coat from his shoulders onto the chair, Arthur already sat at the desk as he gestured to a cup for the other. He had informed him that he wanted to try something different from that usual earl, which Alfred was thankful for as he was on the verge of seeing if the other's little stock of alcohol would make it easier to stomach.

Gaze drifting to the stack of paperwork that awaited him he let out a heavy sigh, dropping into the chair before he slumped into it. The floor doing it's number on his sleep, while his back had undergone a nice treatment due lack of influence a mattress typically would bring, but it did not assure that he wouldn't wake up after every few hours.

Arthur observed, placing down the book he had partaken in to inspect what was happening across from him, "Tedious day?" 

He stretched as much as he could without getting up, legs hurting from constantly squatting and needing a long walk but feet sore. "You could say that, not over yet though." He mumbled, the papers never void in his mind as he shifted, the face of the other's wrath not being something he desire. "My apologies, I shouldn't have leaned on your desk sir." A light pop sound as he moved to grab from the stack.

Fingers slipping into the fabric of the others shirt, he pulled his arm away, asking the other to look at him. "Call me Arthur, hearing you address me otherwise is unfitting." 

Startled he met the other's striking eyes. "Arthur. I- yes, okay." Gaze adverted as he stammered, in utter disbelief that he had been granted permission to use his name.

Soft fabric left his hand, along with the warmth as he leaned back with a chuckle, the smile hidden by his hand as he lifted the book once more. "Speak if you need someone, I'll be here." 

A shred of relief was brought by the succor, a few individual papers being slid over to duck his head into, "You're spoiling me." He teased, reaching over to grab a pen, a quick hand to wipe his cheeks which had flushed earlier.

He slipped a finger over the corner, page turned to continue a story he had read countless time's by now. "Oh, is that so?" A smirk emerged from his rather desolate expression, "My mistake, that wasn't my intention." Elbow propped on the armrest as he tilted his head to look at Alfred.

No longer bothered by the red that tainted his face he smiled, lifting his head to look at him, the teasing unexpected but taking it after the day. "To hear you're so thoughtful, why, this could ruin your entire reputation." A quip in return, a gentle jab that both knew would amount to naught.

Arthur cocked his head back, the corners only digging deeper as the smile declined his attempts to rid itself. "Indubitably." Their conversation coming to an end as he returned to his previous task.

Alfred could barely keep his mind steadied, unable to focus on his work. Thoughts enunciated with such thoughts. Often finding himself enamored by the other, barely noticing the changes and the time between pages often dragging and a candle that's flame went out every time Arthur's brows furrowed only to once more light.

Only broken once his companion dismissed himself for the night, the click of the door making his heart sink. 

He shook his head, refusing to believe the jump in his heart, the hazy feeling that swelled in his head sunken into his chest. There was no way, absolutely not, he was simply overwhelmed by the change of Kirkland's attitude.

.

Hollers and shouts from the crew outside filled the room, alerting the one who sat behind the desk of the other's return, "You're back late." He uttered, setting the finished document aside to be sent off later. 

A noise spooked him from the paper in his hand, a groan following as examined the sight before him. "Arthur?" 

Now that he took in the surrounding sounds he heard the lock along with a few hollers from outside, frozen in shock as Arthur leaned against the wall, face settled into a grimace with teeth grit to hold back any sound, a stumble in his steps which exposed a trail of blood along the wall.