My Fantasy

I could remember the first day we met and it all feels like yesterday. That cold evening, his dad, Mr. Gateway, mom's youngest sibling, decided to pay us a surprise visit or perhaps mom didn't want to let me know so I could be surprised.

The notice of her brother's visit prompted them to pause their travels for that period. Part of me loved it but a greater part snorted.

The evening was the best I had ever had with my parents since I was found in their bosom bearing their names. My mom and dad did the barbecue together, holding hands whilst calm music from Barry White played in the background. They were so in love but never showed me love.

The tables were decorated with beautiful bouquets outside the swimming pool by my wonderful self. Aside from being an extreme introvert, I loved being creative and that was the only thing I quite learned from my mom. She did a lot of DIYs around the house which made our house look exquisite.

The barbecue was ready to be served when mom signaled that I set the dining with plates and stuff. I suspected they were expecting a guest, but I wasn't sure because Dad didn't have friends aside from his colleagues and he wouldn't invite them to a special dinner with his family. Mom? Well, she was still going out with her ladies to clubs, and parties. She doesn't want to act her age which is something I admire about her. She's free-spirited. Yet, she didn't tell anyone what the occasion was or who we should be expecting.

After some good bites into our meal, we hear footsteps at the back. I almost peeped in my pants. I was so scared. Dad acts frightened, but Mom is unfazed as I become extremely nervous. I wondered why Mom wasn't perturbed by the noise. It sort of made me relax but I smelt something under my nose. There's something she isn't telling.

Dad headed out for the baloney and I awaited to hear some terrifying sounds.

"What's happening?" Can't we have dinner as a family without interruptions?". I thought to myself when I heard shouts and laughs from the dark path. I freeze on the chair as I see 3 shadows appear through the dark path leading to the swim area. Dad walks behind the four shadowy images with another huge person. They look like buddies, as they chat, shake hands, and walk through the dark zone. " Who are these? Why is Dad comfortable with these strangers? What's going on? Is he trying to act cool so I and Mom won't freak out?" I assume under my breath whilst I'm still pinned to the chair because of anxiety and I might as well wet my beautiful white jumpsuit, Mom got as a gift for me when they made a travel to Italy. Plus I don't want to embarrass myself in front of these unknown pals.

I struggled in my seat trying to recognize the shadows but it was futile. I had stopped my meal, nevertheless, my mom was enjoying the tasty delicacy they had prepared.

"Mom?" I call out to her having a stern look.

"Mat, enjoy your meal. Everything is fine or don't you love the meal?" She replied rather smiling.

" What's so funny, mom?".

By her response and actions, I should have left the table and headed for my room as usual when I felt goosebumps all over my body as one of the shadows passed by. This shadow was suave and I could feel my pulses radiate. Why was I feeling so incongruous? I felt shivers all over my body. The image didn't look dangerous or armed.  The way he smiled was heavenly. His broad shoulders made him look like those Greek gods described in movies and books.

This was an extraordinary feeling for a girl of 10 years. It was strange to have such an intense feeling for a stranger. "What's going on with me"? Who is this person? Why do I feel like I've met this stranger before?" I say to myself while I stare at him intensely.

"Martha? Are you here or you have gone on some soul travel?" Dad shocks me out of my world of imagination.

"Yes, Dad. I'm here." I reply shyly looking at my slippers.