Chapter 03

Chapter3: With Eyes of White

"Come, Cygnus, I'm glad you could join me," Abraxus declared, gesturing for him to take a seat.

Cygnus nodded and did so as he had on the numerous occasions he had been invited to Malfoy Manor.

As a member of a prominent house, he was afforded the luxury to dine in the parlour room reserved for only the most valued of guests. It was smaller than the others and less formal, the table only large to sit half a dozen people but was intimate and somehow more lavish.

"As always, your hospitality is most welcome," he offered, "but I was not expecting to be invited so soon."

Abraxus offered him an easy smile.

"We are friends, are we not? Why should we stand on ceremony and wait? If I thought I was causing offense, I would have done so," the blonde lord assured him.

Cygnus waved him off dismissively.

"Think nothing of it, it is always a pleasure to dine with you."

Abraxus nodded appreciatively as he signalled for their meal to be brought to them.

"How goes the wedding preparations for Bellatrix and Rudolphus?" he asked politely.

Cygnus shook his head in response.

"I wouldn't know. Druella is managing that and thank Merlin. I have no patience for such tedious affairs."

Abraxus chuckled and took a sip of his wine.

"No, I quite agree. Weddings have changed since me and Ilse married," he lamented. "It used to be that we were only expected to arrive for the ceremony. Now it is all dresses, food sampling and other dull undertakings."

Cygnus nodded.

"If only it was that simple," he sighed wistfully.

"Still, she has a good match and you can take comfort in that. I suppose your father made the arrangements?"

Cygnus snorted derisively.

"My father had nothing to do with it," he denied. "Corvus approached me and I gave the union my blessing. He didn't even ask for a dowry."

Abraxus hummed thoughtfully as he swirled the contents of his glass.

"I would have thought that Arcturus would insist on approving the match," he mused aloud.

Cygnus shrugged.

"No, he has left that up to me," he explained. "He believes the girls should have a say on who they marry. I can only hazard a guess that is why he has not objected. Bellatrix has not voiced her disapproval, so he has opted to allow it to go ahead."

"Could he object if he chose to? Could he prevent it?"

Cygnus frowned for a moment before nodding.

"If he was inclined to, he could kick up a fuss, but that would depend on why he did not agree to it in the first place. If he felt that Bella did not want to marry the boy, he would raise hell to ensure it didn't happen."