Chapter 04

Chapter 4: Slippery Bastards

She was roughly shaken awake by her brother, his frantic demeanour and fearful eyes removing any vestiges of sleep deprivation she had been feeling over the past week or so. She could not be certain how much time had passed and had been living each day as it came.

"Millie, you need to get up, something's happened."

"What is it Ed?" she asked worriedly as she sat.

He shook his head, his expression just as lost, his shoulders still hunched from the burdens that now weighed him down since the death of their father.

"I don't know, but Moody is here."

"Alastor?" she questioned as she got out of bed and pulled her gown over her nightie. "What did he say?"

"Nothing, just that he needs to speak with us both."

With a flick of her wand, the severity of the situation became clear. It was 3am and Alastor would not be here at this time without good cause.

Her heart pounded as she hurried from her room and down the stairs into the entrance hall of Bones' Manor where she was met with the grim visage of her former mentor.

"Amelia," he greeted her.

"What's happened?" she demanded without preamble.

Moody sighed as he shook his head.

"You need to listen carefully to everything I am going to say, Bones," he returned firmly. "Keep that bloody temper in check until I'm finished."

She frowned but nodded as Edgar reached them, he too eager to hear what the auror had to say.

"There was an attempt on your mother's life at St Mungo's earlier. Someone murdered Chambers who was guarding her ward and tried to do the same to her. She is fine and has been moved. Someone found the attacker before he could harm her."

Amelia's mouth fell agape as the man spoke, but Edgar had begun to tremble from the rage coursing through him.

"I fucking knew it! I've been saying all along that father's death was suspicious, and mother just happening to fall down the stairs the same night? I knew there was more to it!"

"I know," Moody comforted. "I believe you, lad, but there was no evidence of foul play."

"And what now, Moody?" Edgar bit back. "Is this enough evidence?"

The grizzled man nodded.

"Yes, but it is now much more complicated."

"How?"

Moody rubbed his eyes tiredly and grumbled under his breath unhappily.

"The man who tried to kill your mother was Thomas Avery."

"Avery?" Amelia whispered in disbelief.

"I'll kill the bastard!" Edgar hissed.

"No, you won't, he's already dead," Moody revealed, eliciting a look of confusion from the siblings.