Chapter 17

"Hey dude!" Laker turned and I peaked around Cole's giant body to see that it was, in fact, Dean.

Of course.

How did I not know they were roommates??

Dean greeted Laker with a casual looking handshake of sorts, but his gaze fired right at me as I peaked around at him. A pleased glint flashed through his deep dark eyes as they met mine.

Cole pulled his arm from around me to stand more in my way, blocking me from view, and blocking my view of Dean. I pushed at his meaty shoulder to get him to step to the side some. Though giving me a confused look over his shoulder, he stepped sideways.

Dean was already looking my way as Cole sidestepped and our eyes met easily. There was a small question in them though. Probably regarding Cole's attempt to hide me. It wasn't uncommon for the guys to hide me from new social situations. Typically, I would even be appreciative of him trying to keep me out of view, but this was different. Not that they knew that. I caught Leo shooting a look between Dean and I out of the corner of my eye, but ignored it, lost in shades of mocha latte.

"Hey, I'm Cole," Cole spoke up from in front of me.

Dean's gaze slid almost reluctantly from mine to look at Cole.

"Dean," he said, friendly enough, though not the way he talked to me, I noted. Dean stuck out a large hand and Cole took it easily.

Laker jumped in, "This is my roommate," he explained and glanced to Leo, "Dean, this is Leo, our captain, like I was telling you."

Leo was standing in a 'strong guy' kind of stance now, with his arms crossed. My best guess was that he had caught Dean looking at me. Big brother mode activiated.

Dean nodded at Leo briefly, seeming unconcerned with his stance as he turned to look at me again.

"Hey Emilia," his expression softened ever so slightly as he greeted me.

Feeling my lips pull into a little smile, I waved at Dean from over Cole's shoulder. The little pleasure from hearing him say my name was short lived though.

Leo cleared his throat, "You know my sister?"

Oh here we go, I felt my hands curl into the ends of my sleeves.

Dean looked back to him, one dark brow lifting, "Yeah, I do."

"The three of us sit together in Anatomy," Laker added, obviously oblivious as ever to the tension in the air. I guess that's probably what made he and Dean at all compatible as friends, since tension seemed to follow Dean around like a lost puppy.

"Is that right?" Leo asked, holding his stance.

"It is," Dean responded. It felt odd to hear him talking in his short little responses, though they were so typical for him. Maybe I was getting too used to the way he was around me...

Leo turned to me now, an obvious look in his eyes, 'I expect an explanation,' the look said.

I huffed lightly and rolled my eyes at him and all his macho protective big brother-ness.

'He's a friend from class, Leo, stop looking like you're going to ask him for an arm wrestling contest,' I signed so that only he could understand, 'He's your keeper, shouldn't you try to be friendly?'

Leo gave me one last glance through narrowed eyes before he turned back to the others, loosening his posture only slightly.

"So where do you want me captain?" Dean was still standing in the same casually intimidating way as always, though it was more relaxed than Leo's had been for sure.