Chapter 3

You woke up to a knocking on your door. You muttered a low "Come in" in your drowsy state. "Hey, wake up Y/N." Your mother said as she tapped you on the shoulder. You then looked at the time on your alarm clock. There's only a half hour until school starts. You need to start getting ready.

After sitting up, you noticed your mother's worried gaze. She put her hand against your forehead. "Are you feeling better? I know you had a headache yesterday. Let me know if you don't feel well while at school and I'll pick you up." You felt her cool hand on your head. "You don't seem to have a fever which is good."

"Thanks Mom but I don't think I'll need to stay home. Today's the last school day of the week anyways." "Ok then, but my offer still stands." She said as she left the room. Now time to get ready, you thought. You needed to be fairly quick as there were only 25 minutes till school started. It's a good thing you live walking distance to the school. You put on your uniform and dashed into the kitchen. In a hurry, you took a piece of toast and ate about half of it, before deciding to eat it on the way.

Since you went out later than usual, you didn't walk to school with anyone today. You found an odd comfort in the silence as it meant that you would be able to walk straight to school without anyone paying you any mind. That didn't mean you were without worry, however, as that is probably a bad sign. Am I late?! You started picking up the pace and we're able to calm down after the school was in view. There were a few students outside the building, which means that the bell probably hadn't rung yet, but was very close to doing so.

You entered the school and wandered the halls with purpose. You made it into the hall of second years and as you approached your homeroom classroom, the bell rang. I was so close! Why cruel world. You stood outside the door frustrated. Your homeroom teacher, Mr. Kimura liked to point it out when students were late for his class. When students were late to homeroom, he would often say things like 'Why are you late? What was so important that you were late for homeroom?' You thought his words were always a bit too strict. All you did in homeroom was homework and recap. It wasn't even a core subject.

You hoped that Mr. Kimura would be nicer towards you as you actually do your homework and follow his direction in homeroom, not that there were many to follow. You took a deep breath and entered the classroom.

"Hey, L/N, nice to see you make it to class." As he said that, you could feel a lot of heads turn your way. You took another step towards the front of the room. "Sorry for being late, Mr. Kimura" You bowed and then went back to your desk. You spent the rest of the period leaning on your arm on the desk. Thinking about it after it happened, you were stressing over nothing. Nobody bothered to make a scene about your tardiness, which you were grateful for. There were only so many ways a day can get worse, and it seemed all of them were happening for a moment there.

You were able to finish the last of your essay you had worked on earlier that week, as you only had the finishing touches left. You would finally be ready to turn it in today. You had been able to do a lot of it at the cafe earlier that week, so you were able to do the rest in class and in homeroom. You then proceeded to your next class, social studies. You liked this class as your teacher was more relaxed and the content in class was interesting.

You liked learning about the past and why things are the way they are today. You are able to focus on the lessons in social studies very easily, and you sometimes participate in group discussion. The class flew by like a breeze. You wrote your notes with a newfound enthusiasm, which was rare even for you in social studies. Since you were into the subject material, the bell caught you off guard, as it suddenly rang signaling to go to the next class.

Soon enough it was time to go to your Japanese Language class and turn in your essay. You had the previous day to work on it also, so you spent the block with it turned in and reading a book you got into recently. Everything was looking up as the day went on as there were no hiccups, in fact, you seemed to have extra time in everything. Your teacher even let you listen to music since you finished the essay in time. You were excited as the next bell would mean it would be time for lunch. You were excited because your mom made one of your favorite bentos since you were a bit under the weather yesterday.