Chapter 1

A/N for the customizable things in this chapter :
(E/c) eye color
(F/c) favorite color
(H/l) hair length
(H/c) hair color
(N/n) nickname
Let me know your thoughts and criticisms!! :D
♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

Why your mother bothered to tamper with those things had always baffled you. Was there some kind of hidden beauty in oil stained trinkets, a meaning behind those broken pieces of metal that you've had yet to discover? It never ceased to intrigue you.

Her gloved hands moved slowly and precisely in a way that was almost rhythmic, her eyes passing over you only for a moment. She was caught up between the wires of an old metal doll, her fingers mending, and melting, and moving one seemingly out of place contraption further up into the chest of the small toy.

Maybe another minute had passed in semi-awkward silence before she gave you any other acknowledgment, which you assumed would, this time, last more than a split second pass over your observantly patient (e/c) eyes.

Assumed correctly, your mother placed her palms onto the table behind her and leaned into the unpolished wood. "Thank you for waiting, (N/N), you need something? You're not usually back here watchin' me with that kind of look." Her head tilted in inquisition, "You feeling okay?"

You weren't just standing there to watch like a creep or something, clearly that wasn't it. Your mother was the only one you could go to for this issue, really. All of your other friends were busy with schoolwork piled high, most likely. They had attended college and probably had a part time job as well. And where that left you, well...

"Yeah actually," you grabbed the sleeves of your (F/C) sweater, "I was just... Now that I'm old enough, do you think you could finally consider letting me work with you?"

You were always babied by your mom when it came to her work, which would eventually be yours. Really, she babied you with practically everything. You needed this, a step in the right direction, a step further away from the isolation of feeling so unprepared in the world, even though you knew it all through text and spoken word.

You needed this.

"I don't think that would be... No, no," she pushed herself off of the wooden table and turned around, "Now just isn't a good time for me."

You so desperately needed this, so why.

"For you?" You mirrored her words. They felt wrong. Your hand rose up to ruffle your (H/L) (H/C) hair in frustration. "I want to be a part of this with you, Mom. I want to learn-"

Why were you even explaining this anymore?

Did she want you in her life or not?

Were you going to continue arguing about such a thing as work? The hypocrisy you had tried to ignore?

Was this ever going to change?

With upset haste, you escaped to the outside world beyond your small, run-down home. You went to the park nearby a small scrapyard, sitting in your makeshift fort of multiple scraps pulled from said yard. You were probably too old for it, but instead of fixating on that, you pondered about when all of this stopped being really about the job and more about your mother accepting you and letting you go.

When calmed from your brooding, you explored and fiddled within the bounds of the pile of what some may think is all garbage. You passed by various doors from various cars, sheets of mystery metal, a robotic-like rusted arm jutting out from beneath who knows what, broken glass that you-

Wait.

That's new, you thought. You supposed it didn't look very new. You were too curious to just gawk at it the whole while, so you promptly had begun to remove the clutter from atop whatever the slightly grimy arm had been attached to.

Let's just say that you weren't the most fit you could have been. (No offense) The whole ordeal probably took you around an hour or two of meticulous removal so as to not disturb the other cluttered metals surrounding you.

The final reveal, though, had your heart pounding with excitement, but also unnerved. It had an abnormally unsettling effect on you despite it being an authentic animatronic from the Circus Baby's Pizza World.

You could not let this opportunity go to waste.

Maybe you really didn't need her to live how you wanted to live.

But for now, you needed to find a way to get this, probably two hundred pound, hunk of metal back to your room.

You were gonna make this thing work brand new.

Well, you were going to try.

(Had to edit this after I already published it because I messed up tense in an important paragraph like a r o o k i e ;_; sorry about that, hopefully you can make more sense of it now!!)