The Almost Perfect Birthday

23 year old Ryan is best friends (hopefully more than that soon) with (almost) 22 year old Annabeth Chase in the city of San Francisco. And today is Annabeth's birthday and Ryan wants nothing more than to make it perfect. Maybe go to Barnes and Nobles to get a new book? Maybe find a cool new bookmark or even find a certain green - eyed boy that's just a little too comfortable with Annabeth. They're just cousins, right?

July 12

Today is Annabeth's birthday. Wanting to make the special, Ryan had planned the PERFECT for his more-than-a-friend friend. Ryan looked down at his phone and read off his list.
Eat at Menchies- check
Go to Barnes & Noble- check
Ryan looked up and saw that Annabeth had chosen a seat next to the window, where the sunlight could stream in the mini café and shine on her blonde curls, turning it golden. Her bright orange shirt and clay beaded necklace looked cheerful, which it should be as she got it at some summer camp. Annabeth smiled and waved him over.
"So are you really sure you want to come to my birthday party?" Annabeth asked, "It's only going to be my family."
"Oh yeah!" Ryan exclaimed, "I've only met your dad once, so it'll be nice to see him again"
"Ok, if you're sure," Annabeth said, "Not that I don't want you to come, you know my family is..."
"Oh, I'm sure it'll be fine!" Ryan told her, "As long as they're ok with me coming."
"Of course!" Annabeth exclaimed as her hands wrapped around a hot chocolate.
Ryan smiled,"Awesome."
Annabeth smiled and took a sip of her hot chocolate while looking up at the ceiling, interested with the way the beams interlocked, but Ryan didn't mind as he was happy to watch her calculating gray eyes dart around and her fingers tap.
Suddenly, Annabeth's eyes moved from the ceiling to someone buying coffee.
Annabeth gasped and stood up as she turned away from Ryan and toward a boy with unkempt, raven black hair and sea-green eyes.