Nothing Much

The boy's head whipped around at the sound of Annabeth's voice.
"Annabeth?"
The boy- Percy?- had messy, raven black hair and sea green eyes. That didn't bother Ryan. Percy also had an armful of books: a picture book about sea animals, and Marine Biology, a textbook. That didn't bother Ryan either, but what did bother Ryan was how excited this bit was to see Annabeth.
Maybe it was the pinch of betrayal he felt, or maybe it was the jealousy that Ryan felt when AnnBeth ran to go hug him. Yeah, that was probably it.
"Percy, I didn't think you were going to make it!" Annabeth exclaimed.
"Anything for you, Wise Girl!" Percy reasoned as Annabeth pulled him in for a kiss on the cheek, something Ryan would've gone through hell for. It broke his heart to see Annabeth give something so precious away to a complete stranger- who probably wasn't even good enough for her.
There's always some explanation, he thought. Maybe they were just cousins, right? Cousins can be that close, right? Cousins can hug like that and cousins can kiss each other on the cheek... Right? Ryan was pulled out of his thought when Annabeth called his name.
"Ryan?" His head snapped up to look at her glowing face, "Ryan, this is my best friend, Percy, he's from New York," she explained while giving Percy a cautious state as he was hiding a grin.
But I thought I was your best friend, Ryan thought. Each thought brought him one step closer to heartbreak. So Ryan put on a brave face and shook Percy's hand (which had a death grip on it) as Annabeth finished introducing them, leaving an awkward silence between them.
"So, how's the birthday girl?" Percy spoke up.
"Oh you know, Ryan and I were just stopping Byron pick up some books, talking about architecture, nothing much," she replied.
Nothing much, Ryan thought.
"You're such a wise girl, talking about architecture," he joked.
"Well your brain is just so full of seaweed, you wouldn't compress such big kid words," she followed.
Wise girl? Seaweed Brain?