Prologue

"So, what if I leave a mark on you too?" Her voice echoed in my head.

"You can't, I'm untouchable," I teased and I watched her laugh. Popping some candy into her mouth as she stuck her elbow out the car window.

I feel the stiffness crawling from my wrists up to my arm. Sweat dripped off my forehead and into my eyes. I winced, letting myself ache for once. Letting my bones feel the cracks and letting my bruises colour my skin.

It's been hours on hours in this dark cell. Maybe it's even been days but what of it? I've lost count. Sitting here with nothing but an empty head, a broken nose and a few open wounds on my skin. From the whips into the chains to the water board. It's never-ending. But despite all that, there's only one thing keeping me sane.

"Who is she?" I remember asking my father.

He forced me to come and watch this show with him from one of his university charities. I didn't want to go so bad that I got high right before we left just so I could be a menace to him.

Then I saw her. Standing there with her long black dress, silky smooth skin and dark hair. Her eyes glint whenever it hits the right angle to the spotlight. Hell, I didn't even care for the music she was playing. Right there and then, all I could think of and all I could see was her.

"Not her son," father said while he shook his head. "That one is off-limits,"

"Are you fucking joking?"

"Watch your tone with me, young man." Father gritted his teeth and I felt my blood reach fever pitch but I kept it together. I had to.

"I just want her name,"

The loud metal door cranks open and I squint, my eyes still blurry from being in the dark too long. Wiggling my wrists around its chains, I whinged and groaned. Anger won't help but it's all I can go on with. That and the thoughts of her. How in my head, her sonata is the only thing I hear.

The only thing I want to hear.

"Wakey, wakey Golden boy. It's time for your next round," one of the shadows walked in, standing right in front of the door. Taunting me.

I spat at them, the taste of blood came then feeling it on my lips stung like a bitch.

"You know you can't kill me right?" I said and I winced, not being able to recognise my own voice. "Otherwise I would've been dead a long time ago. You need me alive."

They laughed, mocking me. I swear once I get out of these constraints they will be the first with their heads on my wall. These sons of bitches.

"Trust me, once we're through with you..." One of them leans in, close enough that I can see the police badge on his vest. "...you're gonna wish you were dead."

"Get him out and take him down. We need him in shackles."

As one of them came around to unlock my chains, I tried to wiggle my way out of their hold but I'm far too weak now. I haven't eaten or drunk anything. Fighting my way out of this now is no use to me.

So, as they drag me by my arms, I close my eyes and let myself drown in the memories of her.

"Why are you so interested in her?" Father asked and her sonata began her final crescendo. I need to know her name before she walks out that stage.

"Can't I be interested in something you forced me into for once?"

"She's off-limits, son."

"We both know if you don't tell me her name, I'll figure it out anyway." I shifted in my seat, rolling my sleeves as the song began its final notes.

He looked at me knowing that I meant what I said. I've done it before and the only person who paid the price of that was him. Defeated, he sighed.

"Margaux. Her name is Margaux Clifford."

Then just as I was dropped to the cold concrete ground, my last thoughts of her were her tears of blood staining her cheeks while she played her violin till it cut through her fingers. Her dress started to falter into a murky colour stained blood-red. And on her lips, her beautiful smile.