1

" Aye, mari get out of the house for the rest of the day." I was being yelled at while still half asleep and trying to process everything happening. Regardless of that, there was only one person that would be trying to wake me up to get out the house. My dumbass older brother, Fabian.

"Okay fine just get out. I gotta find something to wear." Peace. That's the only thing I wanted, peace. I can't ever just sleep in with this idiot in the damn house. His loud footsteps boom throughout the quiet room as he walks back to the door. "Be gone by 1, Amari." It was all silence for a few seconds after that then the door opened and closed behind him. God I was happy for that nigga to finally leave me alone. I had too much of a long night to be woken up this early the next morning.

I force myself to get out of bed after a while, stretch up to the ceiling like always and limp my way over to the door to lock it. If it's one thing I hate it's a mf being in my personal space at anytime. Especially while i'm gettin dressed and taking a shower, it just feels too wrong to me. My brother telling me to get out the house felt wrong too but I can't complain about it, I like to go explore LA as much as possible, the people you'll meet just out on the streets is fuckin sick! Old, young, rich , poor, tall, short, it didn't matter mfs had the best personalities out here and I loved it more than anything, just walking the streets and sometimes just talking to the people i meet.

Everyday be bringing something new and I need something like that in my life, constantly. Enough of all that rn cause I need a shower. I really didn't feel like dragging myself into the bathroom but i've been sitting here zoning in and out at my door for the past 4 or 5 minutes. So, I finally force myself into a shower and getting dressed. It took an hour because the water was switching between hot and cold, I tried to talk my momma into getting it fixed but she said it'd be fine just "Don't stand in the way of the water." I couldn't even wash my hair in that mf, I was scared the bad water pressure was gone make my hair fall out so it just got a sprinkle, but that spreaded on my way downstairs to the kitchen and now it was damp.

"You came down pretty quicker than usual, mari." My momma was frying eggs on the stove while I came down the stairs. "Really? Hmm I thought that felt longer than all the other times." I grabbed her glass of orange juice on the counter and chugged it down. She started hissing at me for drinking it all and made me pour another glass.
"Okay okay, i'm sorry, see here. More juice." I sit it down next to her and see Fabian on the couch staring me down nodding towards the door. "Momma i'll be back sometime tonight." I hate that I have to do what he says now that momma can't spend as much time with us anymore. I'm just tryna see the positive of me getting out the house while I grab my board by the door and head out for the day.

LA could give me all types of options on where to skate. A closed off park for the extra thrill, the sidewalk to just cruise around, or the old school yard where all the other skaters seemed to go. "a nigga really don't wanna be bothered today." I thought out loud. The park it is then, the quietest and most open space around.

Sometimes if I think real hard enough i can think about the first time I saw this place, me, mom, and Fabian all in the car piled up with all our crap from missouri. Mom was giving the "LA was gonna get rid of all our problems" talk, but I wasn't paying attention I was too busy looking at all the people and places we passed by. That's when I saw this old park, there was a group of people skating around but I wasn't paying them any mind, I was focused on the big area and space. It didn't seem to be crowded so i thought I could practice there with no one around to judge me or say some stupid shit when I fucked up. I didn't like that judgmental shit, skating should always be a free zone to make mistakes, trip, fall, and even fuck your self up. That was all in the process of learning to be on the board and to teaching yourself that balance of going.

The park was quiet, and no one was in sight around the whole park. I was one lucky motherfucker to find the park empty at this time of the day. That was at the bottom of my concern list though, I wanted to practice my heel flips.

My first few tries were fucked up and I kept looking at random things and not the focus on my board. It didn't help when a group of boys showed up, their boards hitting against the concrete made me even more distracted. I couldn't keep trying, I was gonna seriously fuck up and hurt myself if I pushed myself to keep trying. But that's me I always try hard until I can't try no more.

So I tried once again but this time I slipped and fell backwards and my head hit straight on the ground. It started to hurt, more and more by the second i sat there on the pavement. I could hear all the the wheels stop that had once just kept filling my ears while I tried to land that trick.

"FUCK, SHIT THIS BITCH BLEEDIN!" The voice wasn't anywhere near familiar or had a familiar tone to it.
"Please stop yelling." I plead as loud as my voice could let out.
"Are you okay? That was a hard ass fall, kid." Another random voice responses.
"Help me up please."
After this time I finally open my eyes to see a group of 5 boys standing over me, all looking concerned and and worried.
"Grab my hand." I could finally match a face to that first voice I heard, and that face was the prettiest one I had seen in a long, long time.