Chapter One

Alexander Suvagante

18th November 2000

Alex Suvagante had been an attractive man in his youth. In contrast to his dull, solemn half-brother he was audacious and charismatic. He was a well-traveled man with toned, defined muscles, an eye for talent and the ability to quickly discover the best in people. It was his natural charm however, his fun loving and easy to please nature that had grown and flourished as he’d matured.

Suvagante was an enthusiastic collector of fine arts and a popular man. Invited to dine at the best parties, news of his exploits and expeditions traveled fast around the inner circles of society. Six years ago, having finally had enough of these travels, he decided to settle for some adventures a little more homebound. Newlywed to the daughter of his most gracious benefactor, he returned to Lalington, the diminutive and insignificant town of his birth, and unconsciously took up his role as something of the town’s celebrity.

 The town was buzzing as people milled around the various stalls and street vendors at the towns annual fete. Tents filled with a variety of merchandise crowded the main square; the taste of meaty pork pies and sugary candyfloss and the aroma of newly popped popcorn weaved in-between the throng of shoppers. A tuneless brass band was repeatedly playing ‘God Save the Queen’, to the occasional sound of applause. Usually Alex’s wife, Lauren, visited the fete each year, but never him. Every year his wife returned home with armfuls of pamphlets handed out by the Town council and bags of fresh fruit, newspaper wrapped Cornish pasties, woolen jumpers and delicate needlework. Alex smiled and politely asked her how it had compared to the year before he wasn’t content with village fairs - they no longer excited him as they had when he was a boy. No, Alex longed for adventure, for the thrill of being on the trail of a panther or of climbing steep mountains slippery with ice. Alex sighed, his heart filled with longing, telling himself that he was perfectly content.

 “Mr. Suvagante!” A fat old spinster waddled up the path towards him, greeting him with a friendly nudge and a playful ‘Oi you’. Gripping his arm in hers she looked up at him in awe.

“What a surprise to see you here!” she crowed in delight. She pressed a pamphlet into his hands; her chubby sausage-like fingers lingered over his for one ghastly moment.

“It’s for the school talk.” She explained, leaning over him eagerly. He didn’t answer.

 “It’s on extreme sports.” she added in a good mood, and she could not help adding a girlish giggle to top it off, “You know how much you inspire the younger children”. Alex grunted. Mrs. Todlington beamed up at him heartily,

“I knew you’d say yes! It’s at six tomorrow evening.”

Alex told her he’d come, and let himself get swept away, feigning reluctance, into the crowd.

Left to his own devices at last, Alex remembered the reason he’d come: Dr Barns had given him the name of a herb to stop hallucinations. He started heading over to one of the stalls selling plants when he was interrupted by a flock of his neighbours. They ran towards him like geese, quaking out their greetings and proclaiming loudly about the weather. Alex swallowed; he’d rather face a herd of angry elephants than put up with these peoples banter.

“Tell us a story.” Urged a young woman, tugging at his sleeve, “Like the one where your head was trapped in the mouth of a polar bear.”

The flock showed their delight at this statement by flapping their wings loudly.

Alex shuddered, he didn’t want to remember that one let alone retell it.

“Go on, tell her a story then.” One old man, possibly Simon Peters but they all looked the same, gave a toothy grin.