01 | A Tradition

"I can't believe you're here! Finally! And that too on Christmas Eve," Paige, my best friend since fourteen screamed, holding my hand and squeezing it, a wide smile spread across her beautiful face

"I can't believe you're here! Finally! And that too on Christmas Eve," Paige, my best friend since fourteen screamed, holding my hand and squeezing it, a wide smile spread across her beautiful face. I returned with a warm one, happy that she was in front of me, after four, long years.

"I'm just as ecstatic as you are, Paige. It's been a dream to see you, that too after a long while."

"Hug before we tear up in front of the public?" She held out her arms, waiting. I jumped into them, and despite her statement, tears formed in my eyes.

We were inseparable as kids, living as neighbours in the rich neighbourhood of Los Angeles. Dad was ... normal back then before he went crazy and followed the path of Satan. Dad's job was transferrable and Los Angeles was the only place we could stay for more than a year. In my fourteen-year-old mind, I was joyous when I heard this news. All I could think about at the moment was making new friends that would stay with me longer than usual.

But the moment you think something good was going to happen in your consistent life, that's when things go down the shit hole.

The car ride to Paige's house was comfortable, us switching music alternatively between 5 Seconds of Summer and 1 Direction. Even though these were two opposing bands, each song was a jam for the two of us.

The plan I had in mind was to stay at Paige's place until I could find a place to live, probably before graduation. I hadn't told her yet cause she would ballistic and beg me to stay but I did not want to become a difficulty to her life and her parents.

I'll slowly break the news.

"Mom and Dad were just as excited as I was when you phoned to tell me you were coming here. Let's just say I was double their excitement." She chuckles lightly. Mr. and Mrs. Sawyer was always like second parents to me which indirectly explains why Paige relates herself to me as "sister from another mother." She's not wrong.

"Yeah, I can see that," I reply.

A few minutes passed between us before the right indicator was put and we turned onto a familiar street that had very minimal changes.

"Did anyone buy our house?" I asked Paige.

"Yeah, a dude did. I think his brother or friend had come to enquire if someone lived there the other day."

"Oh," was all I could say.

Paige's house came into view and a scene of us playing in the inflatable pool came floating in my mind, along with a taste of freshly squeezed juices and Mrs. Sawyer's friendly face with her warm smile serving them.

"Does your Mom still make those juices? I asked, preventing water from leaking down my mouth.

Laughing at me, she said, "You still remember that?" I nodded my head. "Lucky for you, and me, she still does."