Displaced

"The Ghost Zone smells nasty," Sam muttered, covering her face. "Just gross."

"Like Foley by Tucker Foley?" Danny smirked.

She shook her head. "No. That stuff's ten times worse."

"Huh. You know, I can't really tell." Danny glanced around at the green swirls of energy surrounding them.

"It's probably the whole 'ghost' thing." She waved a hand at his chest, tightening her grip on his shoulders. "Do you know where you're going? We haven't been to the Norrisville portal in weeks."

"I know where it is." Danny let out a breath. "I haven't stopped thinking about it since I came back."

"You've wanted to go back?"

"No! I'd never leave you again!" He closed his eyes for a moment. "I'm just thinking of the people on the other side."

"You care that much for them?"

"They're complete goofballs, but believe it or not, they can hold their own." Danny shrugged. "I just can't help but feel I've left that town in more chaos than it already was."

"Look where you're flying." Sam grimaced as they narrowly missed a floating rock. "Speaking of chaos, think Tuck can deal with whatever that crazy ghost is doing back at home?"

"If anyone can deal with the Guys in White and Walker, it's Tuck." He smiled. "One beaurocrat to another, they've got enough red tape to tie each other up."

"That's one way of putting it." Sam laughed. "We're getting close, aren't we?"

"We're here." Danny slowed to hover in front of a classic shogun temple, its doors thrown wide. A brilliant green portal filled the space inside. "This is it."

"It looks like all the other portals. You're sure?"

"I am. This is the world of the Ninja. Ready?"

She swallowed. "Yup. Let's go."

Danny nodded, then plunged into the portal at top speed.

They both screamed as the portal took too long to work, then Danny erupted into a tall, dark cavern, hovering over a portal filling the floor. He let out a breath, then flew over and set Sam down beside the swirling portal before landing on the cavern floor himself. "Welcome to Norrisville."

"This... this is Norrisville?"

"Kind of. We're in a cavern way, way below Norrisville High." He closed his eyes and clenched his fists. The white ring formed around his waist, then shattered with a sound like breaking glass. "I still can't turn back. Why can't I?"

"Do you think Rogue—"

"No way. If she did, we'll never catch her." Danny shook his head, kicking the broken golden shackles left from his and Randy's fight with the Sorcerer. "That's not important right now, though. We need to find Randy Cunningham." He looked up at the cavern roof, sweeping her into his arms again. "Let's find a ninja."

"Let's." She grabbed his shoulders, then winced as they both turned intangible and launched through the stalactites covering the ceiling.