1 • The complete idiot

Suna struggled to recognize the strange girl in the thick snowstorm. It seemed like she was melting into the snow.
Only now and then could Suna make out a shadowy figure rushing back and forth between the trees.

Like a silver arrow.

The girl hissed through the trees. Suna started to jump and pushed herself off the ground.

With a huge jump, she threw herself on the girl and nailed her to the ground. For a few seconds, the two stared at each other, out of breath.

The stranger had white-blonde, wavy hair, and her eyes were a stunning gray.  She was maybe two or three years older than Suna. 

She wore a top and pants made of leather.  Over it, she wore a cloak that had fur at the top of the collar and ended in a point on her right leg.

„Who are you?“, Suna gasped.
„Don't know why that should be your business!“, hissed the girl.
Her chest rose and fell frantically.

„You watched me and then ran away. I think that is my business!“, said Suna.
„Why did you run after me?“, asked the other girl.
„I was afraid you'd kill me,“ Suna said straightforwardly.

„Kill you? Why should I kill you?“, asked the other girl and Suna loosened her grip. Immediately the other girl pushed Suna off of her, got up, and ran away.

Suna stayed in the snow for a few seconds.

That went well. 

Now she had to go back to her father, even though he had forbidden her to go out and she had not even found out anything useful. 
Who was that girl?
Suna struggled to get up.

A second later there was no longer the brown-haired girl, but a young lioness who was running quickly to the east.

She barely felt the snow under her paws and before she knew it she arrived at her father's secret camp. 
She ran through the rows of tents and arrived in front of the last, largest, and most magnificent of all tents.

She slipped in and was faced with a large lion, who looked at her sternly and a little disappointed.

She sat down and bowed her head.
„I forbade you to leave the camp, Suna,“ he said in a low voice. „I know, father. But-“
„Then why did you leave it?", he interrupted her, his voice even louder than before.

„I was just playing on the edge and then there was a girl and she was watching me and then she ran away," Suna told her story. „And I followed her," she finished quietly.

Her father said nothing.
Suna didn't dare to look up. 
„That's not really everything“, she said hesitantly.
„I thought to myself, if I can prove to you that I can take care of myself by bringing the girl with me, you might let me out,“ she said quietly.

„What if she hurt you? You are nine years old Suna, far too young to even hold a sword. I know you can take care of yourself and I know you need your freedom, but wait a few more years. The kings and queens will come soon and then you will be free like never before“, her father promised.

Suna looked up. 
„When? It's always soon. But when is soon?“, she asked desperately.
„With every day that goes by, it's one day less“, said her father.

Suna stomped grumpily out of the tent, but there could be no question of a lioness stomping. She still looked graceful, though. At the next corner, she turned back into a girl.  The conversation with her father could have gone a lot worse, but she still felt lousy.

„How did the conversation go?“, asked a voice behind her. Suna turned around and looked at the general of the army, a centaur named Oreius.
„So, that I don't feel like anything anymore“, she mumbled and crawled away themselves in their tent. Should anyone send her someone to drag her to class - she wouldn't learn much today.