willow.

as if you were a mythical thing
like you were a trophy or a champion ring

CHARLOTTE ROGERS

I felt a bit ridiculous in the short red wig and simple black dress that served as my disguise. It didn't help that Peggy looked absolutely stunning in her long blonde wig and sparkly cream dress.

I adjusted the rather itchy wig and tried to ignore the tickle I felt in my stomach as we walked into the party. We never made direct contact with one another, as Peggy went upstairs and I stayed on the lower level as our lookout.

The heat of the room and the added warmth of my wig caused a small sweat to start. That tickle in my stomach grew into a notable pain, while my head began to ache.

I tried to keep my eyes open and myself upright as well as I could. We couldn't afford any unwarranted attention.

As if matters couldn't get any worse, Agent Thompson and Agent Krzeminski came waltzing into the party.

The panic bubbling up inside me was not doing my sudden illness any favours. If I passed out again, especially in the middle of the room, I'd blow both mine and Peggy's covers and ruin any chance of helping Howard.

I needed Peggy, but I had to do the next best thing and make a beeline to the bathroom.

As I hurriedly made my way toward the restroom, non-other than Jack Thompson stopped me in my tracks.

"Excuse me, Miss. Have you seen — "

"Well I am just so sorry, but I am in desperate need of a bathroom! My bowel has been acting up. You are gonna wanna stay away from the ladies room tonight, sir!" I lied, faking a southern accent and rushing past him before he could get a good look at me or even respond.

I began to feel incredibly dizzy and completely numb once I stumbled into the bathroom. I splashed some water in my face, but it didn't seem to help one bit.

I felt awfully for abandoning Peggy, but I knew she could hold her own. I was certainly of no use in my worsening condition anyway.

It felt like I had spent hours in that semi-clean restroom by the time I rushed out of the to the back door of the building. I struggled to stay as alert as possible as I hailed a cab.

It took a lot of willpower and strength to stay awake during the cab ride to my apartment. Once we arrived, I hastily paid the driver and ran inside.

As I took a shower, I felt myself slowly get a little better. It was as if every warm droplet of water eased the pain I felt slightly more when it hit my skin.

I was sluggishly conducting my nightly routine and trying to stay awake when a hesitant knock echoed throughout my apartment.

"Who is it?" I called out while trying to mask the sleepiness in my voice.

"Thompson!" Jack called back.

What was he doing here?!

"One moment!" I yelled. The fear instilled in me caused me to perk up enough to quickly throw the wig and dress in the closet.

I took a deep breath and I opened the door for the man I'd told I had issues with my bowels only a few hours earlier.

"What do you want?" I asked tiredly.

He only briefly looked at me in my robe before awkwardly shifting his gaze anywhere else.

"Ah, I'm sorry, did I... um, interrupt something?"

"No, no, I was just getting ready for bed."

"Alright, uh.."

"Agent Thompson, why don't you come sit for a moment while I put some clothes on. Then we can talk." He nodded and I gestured towards the couch in my small apartment.

I quickly changed into more appropriate clothing in the bathroom before stepping out to join him again.

"So where were you running off to tonight?" I asked him.

"I went downtown to look for clues, evidence, anything."

"What did you see?" I chirped, even though I already knew.

"Well, there was this strange southern woman with a bowel problem..." he laughed.

I laughed along anxiously. If only he knew.

"Which brings me to why I am here..."

At that moment, my heart stopped beating. I tried to play it off, as that seemed like the safest bet.

"Yes, it would be good to know why you showed up at my door. How do you know where I live in the first place..?"

"I am a federal Agent, Blondie."

I rolled my eyes at his retort and gestured for him to move on.

"Anyway, I just wanted to make sure you didn't blow up from that shot."

"I assume that's the closest I will get to an 'are you okay?', which I am. But um, do you know what exactly was in it?"

"It's not... I don't know."

I wasn't sure if he was lying, but I knew he was hiding something. Regardless, I didn't feel like pushing it after the night I've had.

"Well, thank you for your concern."

"Don't expect too much of it."

"I didn't expect any of it."

He got up and tipped his hat. I smiled and walked behind him

He opened the door but before he stepped out he turned his head. "See you tomorrow, Charlotte."

"Goodnight, Jack." I smiled.