fearless.

and i don't know why but with you i'd dance
in a storm in my best dress
fearless

CHARLOTTE ROGERS

The group of nine laid around the warm fire. Unfortunately, I found myself next to the devil himself — Jack Thompson.

Maybe that was a bit dramatic.

But maybe I was just a bit conflicted.

I made eye contact with Peggy, which turned into a suspicious glare when she smirked. I didn't know she could be so much like a relationship obsessed teen. Of all people, I would never expect her to be the one to trick me into being stuck by Jack.

The group chatted for a while, laughing about yetis and abominable snowmen. Then things got a bit more serious, when Jack told his war story— the supposedly true story of how he got his navy cross.

There was a tone in his voice that I couldn't quite make out.

He told us how Japanese soldiers came into his camp and he killed them all. It sounded rather brutal, but I had to remember that it was war. War -- killing each other to solve problems, only the problems never seemed to be solved in the end.

Jumping out of the endless pit of deep thought, I gave Jack a comforting look.

The group started to quiet down a bit, engaging in separate conversations. I thought that this would be a good time to strike up a deep conversation with Jack.

I rested my head on my hand and spoke softly.

"Hey."

He looked up at me, seemingly surprised that I was talking to him.

"You shouldn't talk, you'll —"

"It's okay. It doesn't hurt too bad anymore."

He shot me a skeptical look.

"I promise."

"I—I'm sorry. About what you are going through. And for the way I have been acting."

I was so shocked to hear him apologize. I just laid there and stared at him.

"I have been acting like an ass. You don't deserve that."

"What do you say we go out for a drink when we get back home?" I asked with a small smile on my face.

"That sounds great," he answered with a smile.

"I'm sorry, too, by the way."

"What for?"

"Making you soft," I half-laughed and half-coughed as I said this.

"When I say soft... I don't mean actually soft... I'm, I'm not that easy to break."

"Come on, Jack. It's okay to be vulnerable. You can still be all masculine and have feelings. I like you better when you are real."

"Real?" He scoffed.

"You know — honest. Not so confusing. Anytime you are real with me, you revert back to being an ass."

"I know," he sighed. "I just — I don't know. I feel like opening up will allow me to get hurt."

"Do you really think I'd hurt you? I'm just a lost puppy," I giggled.

"I don't think you'd ever intentionally hurt someone. But it hurts to be around you."

"Well, I wasn't expecting that..."

"It's not you, Charlotte. Well, it sort of is. It's the feeling I get when you are near. And my heart aches when you leave. I tried in vain to control myself, but you're like a damn magnet. I don't know what I am supposed to do about it other than push you away..."

A smile crept onto my face and I placed my hand on his.

"Maybe instead of pushing me away, you pull me close?" I laughed.

"I'm not messing around! This is what I was afraid —"

"I'm not messing around, either."

"Then... what are you saying?"

"I'm saying you're an insufferable bastard who's worth a shot," I smiled.

He chuckled and turned his hand over to hold mine.

"I appreciate that, I think."

"But Jack?"

He hummed while his fire-lit face stared back at me. I rubbed circles on the back of his hand subconsciously.

"I feel like we should keep this on the down-low. I don't want anyone else's input or attention. I just want us to figure out what this is, okay?"

"Of course. I actually agree."

I smiled at him and without releasing his hand, I shifted a little closer and laid on my back.

"Do you know much about the night sky?"

"I can't say I do."

"Well, it might help to look at the stars instead of me," I chuckled. I felt him shift beside me now and we studied the clear night sky.

"Mine and Steve's best friend, Bucky.. he used to lay outside like this with me. He told me so many stories about what laid in the heavens."

"What is he doing now?" Jack asked quietly.

"He... he died in combat shortly before Steve. I guess they both lay in the heavens now."

"So you guys were pretty close, huh?"

"Yeah. Bucky was like my big brother. He took care of Steve in ways I couldn't. He always protected him, and they protected me even though I didn't really need it," I paused to smile at the memories that flooded my mind as I said this.

"You must really miss them," he said softly.

"I do. I really, really do."