Part 5 - Falco PUNCH!

Once the crowd's cheers, jeers, and screams died down, the only sound left was the whoosh of the high-speed winds at Lilith's altitude.

Red Global's expectant, icy gaze somehow broke through the silence. Lilith had mear moments to answer.

"Well?" The Red Villain mused.

Lilith went with her gut. "We aren't Sentinels anymore, Red Global. Chancel-"

"I know very well what Chancellor Verendia did to your little security force. My question is whether you come as independent citizens or agents of the Republic."

"Independent." Lilith shuddered at renouncing the Republic's protection so openly, but there was no way to finesse this answer. Hopefully Dr. Atomic would figure out that safe house soon.

"Good. I like that answer." With a flick of her wrist, Red Global signaled her side of the audience. They broke out in an approving cheer. "But instead of letting you interfere with my beloved Sons of Retribution, I offer an equal exchange."

Lilith squinted in confusion, and Red Global laughed. "I'm proposing a battle, hon. You're most a strike force trained by the Shield themselves, are you not? A suitable challenge should be allowed from our side. Fair?"

Begrudgingly, Lilith accepted, but she would make this a show. Falco might pull off the rescue if she could keep Red Global entertained. Every second counted. Lilith raised her voice and walked to the edge of the stage to address the audience. "Then we accept, as long as the battle is on our terms."

Both sides of the seating went wild with euphoria - except Red Global, who just stood there, hand on her chin, thinking. The Villain softly cleared her throat, and the crowd went silent as a church mouse.

"Come to think of it." Red Global did a pointed once over of Lilith's group. "The member you're missing was... a Speedster, right?"

A flurry of whispers broke out among the viewers.

"Your Falco's name wouldn't happen to be Johann, would it?" Red Global slapped her belly, peeling with laughter at Lilith's expression. She wiped away a tear from the corner of her eye. "This day just keeps getting better and better. Ok newbies, change of plans. I pick the fighters - and the rules. Oh. And I'm fighting."

Lilith's heart stopped beating in shock.

Red Global's hologram twitched, flickered, and vanished. The image resumed shortly after - the Villain now stood tapping her foot. "Well? Are you coming to meet my challenge?" She raised a finger to the sky and a beam of light shot upward. It shone through the skylight of the news building. She'd moved from the upper atmosphere into that building in an instant.

"I'd put your toys away sweetie. They won't do you much good down here." Red Global cooed as she blew a kiss goodbye.

The joint-stream cut off, and half the audience went with it. The remaining viewers were a mixed bag of grimaces and halfhearted smiles.

They knew Lilith and her team were in deep. Now that Red Global suspected Falco, there was no way to back out. Lilith glanced at her friends while the streaming drones stopped the holograms and packed themselves away.

Rosenquartz's stony visage looked eager, and his smile widened as they locked eyes, but Gabriel looked off. Even tucked away under the armor, Lilith could almost feel his nervous energy.

Nevertheless, the captain spoke clearly. "Are you ready?" Gabriel extended his hand her way, intending to carry them all down in case he needed to put up a shield.

Lilith's eerie gut feeling ripped into her confidence again.

She tried some banter to ease her nerves. "Not all of us were trained to leap into danger since birth Wrench Head." She smiled as she took his hand and he nestled her close, giving her a practiced delicate squeeze with the power suit.